Chapter Ten: Lousiana

Start from the beginning

"That's not the point!" His mom exclaimed. Sapnap snickered from the passenger side, covering his laughter with his palm, "Don't make this into a joke or I won't let you go!"

"First of all, I'm 18," Dream smacked his hand down on Sapnap's leg, willing him to stop laughing. He decided to leave his hand there, inching it just a little closer up the thigh, "Second of all, I'll be fine. I can take care of myself."

"Okay," She nodded her head, her 60s curtain bangs flopping in place, "Okay. I love you. Be safe. Please."

"We're gonna be okay," Dream assured, pulling the gearshift out of park, "I love you too. See you in a few weeks!"

Dream pulled out of the driveway, only for the sun to almost immediately affect his vision. In order to search around for his sunglasses, his hand left Sapnap's thigh and he couldn't just disregard the small whimper he heard from Sapnap's side of the car.

When he looked back at Sapnap to figure out just what that sound was, he found that Sapnap was unable to make eye contact, eyeing the window as if their houses were something intriguing he had never seen before.

Dream tried to look around again, to see what exactly was happening to Sapnap, before finally he just burst into a fit of laughter and wheezes, unable to hold himself back.

"What the fuck was that?" He teased, Sapnap snapping his head to look at Dream, embarrassment causing his cheeks to tint a significantly dark pink.

"I pinched my finger," Sapnap used a terrible excuse, pressing his palms to his cheeks in order to hide his blush.

"So you pinched your finger," Dream breathed out, "and you couldn't look me in the eyes, because you were so embarrassed that you pinched your finger."

"Correct."

"Not buying it."

"Why not?" Sapnap pouted, twisting around to look out the window again, "It's true."

"It isn't," Dream reached over and hovered his hand over Sapnap's upper thigh again. He listened as his best friend's breath hitched, "Do you want me to touch you again?"

"No. That's stupid," Sapnap scooted further into his seat, looking down to fiddle with his hands.

"Is it?" Dream placed his hand back on the gearshift and finally started moving down the road, leading out of their neighborhood, "Then I won't."

"Fine," Sapnap muttered under his breath.

"Fine," Dream echoed.

A few moments passed as they navigated towards the interstate - which was soon to be paved with memories ;) - and a silence rested over them like a thick cloud of smoke, suffocating the entire car.

Just as Dream went to take the aux cord, Sapnap's hand brushed over his. As he looked up, he realized Sapnap had also been reaching for it.

"Don't start this," Dream pulled the aux cord towards himself, "We all know I have the better taste in music."

"Sure, but I don't feel like listening to sad love songs the whole way to Louisiana," He took the aux cord from Dream's hand and quickly plugged it into his phone, "Plus, I'm the passenger."