Chapter Six: Forgive and Forget

Sunday dinner ended up being a lot more suffocated and awkward than it normally was.

Especially, since it was neither suffocated or awkward before today. It was normally a fun event that Dream looked forward to all week, but here he was, slurping up his pasta as quickly as he could, trying his hardest to get away from the rest of the family.

He had a whole plan that involved going to the restroom, pretending he threw up, and then asking his mom if he could go home early. It was the perfect plan that had worked every since he was old enough to form words.

"Could I be excused?" Dream asked as he stood from his spot at the table, "The restroom is calling." He made the extra effort to hold his stomach as he navigated towards the bathroom, groaning slightly to simulate pain. This would be the perfect excuse.

Dream made his way down the hall, looking both ways and sneaking around as if he were in some sort of spy film. Dream had a strange habit of acting out movie scenes in his day to day life, possibly filling in for the trauma he received after his parents refused to allow him to be a child actor. He would've been perfect, especially with the talent he had expressed through theater.

Dream had received the lead in Jack and the Giant Peach when he was younger, and done such an excellent job that he had left the entire crowd in tears. That artificial smoke he had managed to sneak in definitely adding to the realism of the scene and made everything look so much better. People had truly enjoyed that play and it was just unfortunate timing that football season happened to be coming up and he couldn't participate in the next play.

Dream made his way around the corner, looking behind him as he slipped past a bookshelf. Just as he was about to enter the restroom, he bumped into something. That something had never been there before and Ashley had never approved of redecorating. Whatever stood before him had been planted there on purpose.

Slowly, Dream turned his head to address the situation, nearly stumbling backwards as he was met with Sapnap's face. They were nose to nose and Dream quickly jumped backwards, an ungodly screech leaving his mouth.

"What the fuck, dude?" Dream placed a hand on his heart, trying his hardest to calm his heavy breathing, "You scared the shit out of me."

Sapnap scoffed, "Were you pretending to be in Spy Kids or something? What the fuck was that?"

Dream sighed and rolled his eyes, finally deciding it might be best to just face the elephant in the room and figure out how they would get rid of it. He plopped himself down on the floor, back pressed up against the bathroom door. Sapnap sat down across from him, spreading his legs out in front of him.

"If you must know," Dream finally interrupted the silence, "I was on a super secret mission."

Sapnap snorted, followed by an exaggerated laugh. Dream looked at him in displeasure, warning Sapnap that if he took his sarcasm any further that Dream would simply get up and leave. Both of them wanted to resolve this unspoken of tension, and Dream knew this. It was important that they talk now rather than later.

"Yeah?" Sapnap hid his grin with his hoodie sleeve, which he had pulled over his hand. Dream tried his best to ignore how adorable he looked right now. This was serious business.

"Yes," Dream confirmed, "I was on my way to throw up so I could leave."

Sapnap's face immediately fell, his lips forming a prominent frown, "You love family dinner."

"I know," Dream mentally slapped himself for revealing his plan, "I just wasn't enjoying it all that much tonight."

Sapnap only nodded, leading them into a comfortable silence. Although it felt nice to just sit in the company of his best friend, Dream couldn't help but want to talk this all out right then, even though they had all night. They could sit here for hours if they so pleased, but at some point someone would have to say something, and now seemed as good of a time as any.