Chapter Four: The First Date

Dream looked himself up and down in the mirror, unsure as to whether or not he should change his shirt. It was fancy enough that it would be suitable for a simple date to dinner, but he wasn't sure Sapnap would be dressed up this nicely, seeing as they had agreed to keep this strictly platonic.

He smoothed out some of the wrinkles in the striped fabric, just before reaching up to adjust his collar. This shirt would have to do. Even if Sapnap didn't make an effort, he was still going to. This was about figuring out what they were doing wrong and if he didn't show up to his date in the proper attire, that was already a huge flaw in his system. He didn't want to dress himself down in order to fit his best friend's standards.

After deciding the lighting in his room just simply wasn't capturing his features in the best way possible, he rushed out his door, grabbing his wallet on the way, intent on finding a different mirror in the house before it was time to leave.

To his luck, he managed to run directly into his dad, just as he had located the full length mirror that was propped up against the wall in the hallway. It had fallen down ages ago and his dad hadn't gotten around to fixing it yet, claiming work was hard and the weekends were strictly for relaxing.

"Where are you off to, Champ?" His dad was getting ready to go out for dinner with Dream's mom, him also seemingly using the hallway mirror, as the lighting was obviously superior.

"I'm going on a date," Dream was too absorbed in fixing his collar, which was being slightly tricky, not wanting to lie straight, to realize what he had said. The statement would obviously draw out more questions from his dad.

His dad awed, making an 'O' with his mouth, "Anyone I would now?"

"Probably not," Dream finally settled on leaving his collar alone, it not being particularly cooperative. If Sapnap found it to be a problem, he could just write it down on a cocktail and add it to his list of reasons Dream sucked at dating, "I should probably head out."

"Sure thing!" His father took Dream's place in front of the mirror, trying to straighten out his tie, twisting it around his neck carefully, "Text me if you need anything. I hope you guys have a good time."

Dream jogged down the stairs, nearly missing a few in the process. He definitely didn't want Sapnap to add that Dream was late to his list, especially since he lived just next door. It'd be more than embarrassing if he wasn't on time.

Dream's mother was in the kitchen and he purposely avoided getting too close, not wanting to become trapped in a conversation with her. His dad could always fill her in.

The weather was nearly perfect, a soft, warm breeze rushing to greet him as he shut the door to his home behind him. The sky was clear, the sun nearly disappeared beyond the horizon, blocked by houses and trees. Clouds were nowhere to be found, it being just dark enough, yet just light enough to make them seem as if they weren't even there.

Dream went ahead and walked through his yard and into Sapnap's, not bothering to use the sidewalk. He had done this so many times, it'd surely be breaking some sort of code to actually walk up and down their driveways just to get to Sapnap's house.

Sapnap's door had been freshly painted yellow, decorated with a wreath, that Ashley had insisted wasn't only meant for the holidays. Dream knocked on the door just twice, it being routine at this point. No sane person only knocked twice, so Sapnap always knew it was him who was waiting.

The door opened, but Lilith was the one to answer, her normally tied-up hair falling almost to her hips. It was perfectly straight and incredibly shiny, and Dream simply didn't understand how she maintained such nice hair when she had so much.