Chapter Nine: Mall Dates

Being close to Sapnap had become so much more familiar after school was let out. They seemed to be joined at the hip, constantly breathing down each other's necks. It was nearly impossible to separate them.

Dream liked it this way, despite the fact that whenever Sapnap was around, all he could think about was reaching out and wrapping the smaller in his arms. There was some sort of magnetic force trying its best to pull them together, but Dream was resisting it, settling for hovering next to Sapnap, their hands constantly close enough to brush against one another, but never intertwined.

At some point over the last week or so, Dream had decided that he would confess soon. It was eating him alive, and if he didn't tell Sapnap about how he felt by the end of the summer, he would be a mere fragment of the human being he once was.

There was a slight tension on Dream's part that Dream was more than aware of. With him constantly stuck in his thoughts, he often missed what Sapnap had to say, or would mess something up, going so far as to forgetting how to walk. (Sapnap had received a good laugh when Dream tripped on a crack in the sidewalk, him having been far too busy watching the way Sapnap spoke, using his hands to express himself, to be actually watching where he was going.)

On this particular afternoon, Dream was sat up against his bed frame, wondering what he could do in order to distract himself. He had resisted asking to spend the night at Sapnap's the night prior, and now he was using some of the time to himself to reflect on exactly how stupid he was being.

Things had started to blur together. His current relationship with Sapnap was spilling into his fantasies and now he wasn't sure he could be around Sapnap without surging forward and kissing the life out of him. It was an issue that somebody with half a mind would probably discuss with the other person or in the least a therapist.

The way things were headed had to be unhealthy.

Dream opened up a random app on his phone, staring down at the unfamiliar logo that appeared on his screen. He had a habit of downloading every fun ad that popped up and then never actually getting around to playing it.

A puzzle game loaded up, displaying pieces of photos, scattered across the screen. Dream halfheartedly matched the puzzle pieces up, revealing a picture of two cats nuzzling close to each other.

He was quick to skip to the next puzzle, not actually wanting to play the game, but being bored enough that it didn't matter.

In the end, Dream had completed sixteen puzzles, all of which were animal themed.

All except for the custom photo he had put in and made into a puzzle, it revealing a cheesy photo that he had taken with Sapnap months prior.

It had been taken closer to the beginning of their Senior year, back when Saturdays were used for sleepovers and Sundays were used for mourning the weekend they had spent mostly sleeping.

At some point, the weekends just blurred into weekdays, and eventually it was Summer again.

The photo displayed a sleeping Sapnap, Dream posing next to him, his lips pressed up against Sapnap's cheek. Dream had never shown Sapnap the photo, forgetting it even existed by the time Sapnap had awoken.

It had been pushed back and hidden away in Dream's camera roll, replaced by even more photos of the pair, doing something stupid in each and every one. Dream had found the photo when lazily cleaning out his camera roll earlier that morning, deciding it was one of his new favorites.

He almost made it his lock screen, but decided with Sapnap constantly around, the decision would surely turn around and bite him in the ass.

A notification drew Dream's attention to the top portion of his screen and he slid down, revealing his texts with Sapnap.