Chapter Five: Prom Night

Prom was just around the corner and Dream was absolutely ecstatic, just as everyone else was. It may have been a cliche teen fantasy, but prom was meant to be the biggest night of anyone's high school career.

Dream had waited since his Freshman year for the day he would find himself shopping for a tux and searching for a date, preparing himself for the limo that would bring him to his date's house and escort them both to the gym so they could spend the night dancing and chatting. What Dream began fantasizing about when he found out everyone got laid after prom night was to be left for his imagination and his only.

Of course, the crowds and loud music weren't for everyone, and Dream understood that. He most definitely supported a person's right to decide whether or not they experienced the best night of their lives.

Just, when Sapnap decides prom wasn't for him, how was Dream supposed to sit back and watch him ruin his teenage years? He'd never earn them back. This was destined to hurt him in the coming years and Dream was simply saving him from a life long feeling of regret.

"I'm telling you, Dream," Sapnap slid open his back door, stepping out onto the back patio, "Prom isn't my thing. I'd just be miserable and no fun."

Dream followed Sapnap outside, nearly stumbling into a camera that had been set up and directed at the grill. Ashley had set everything up to live stream and the smell of charcoal drifted through the air, causing Dream to choke up on his words. He had always hated the smell of smoke and Sapnap had always been quite the opposite, teasing Dream when he was sent running when the smoke from a campfire came wafting towards him.

It wasn't Dream's fault. Smoke was just incredibly traumatizing.

"That's impossible," Dream rotated his body to slip past the camera and navigate his way through the endless amounts of cords that had been jumbled up on the pavement, "Prom is definitely your thing. You've always loved big crowds and music."

"Big crowds full of geeks," Sapnap pointed out, literally, as he was pointing a stick in Dream's direction, "I've only ever been to conventions. Prom is totally different."

"How so?"

Sapnap snapped the stick he had been holding in half and through it into the fire pit, going to pick up even more. He had drawn the short straw when it came to chores and was on yard duty, considerably the worst job in the house.

It consisted of picking up all the sticks, dog droppings, weeding the garden, mowing the lawn, and power washing the shed. The tasks could last all week if Sapnap didn't use his time wisely, and if Sapnap intended on having any fun at all this weekend, he had to get to work quickly.

"It's full of people crowding around searching for their favorite games and content creators," Sapnap rolled his eyes and continued tossing smaller sticks into the burn pile, "They weren't slow dancing and making out with each other in the corner."

"I highly doubt no one was making-"

"Okay, they're always making out!" Sapnap interrupted, "Prom just sounds stupid."

Sapnap shoved passed Dream so he could go to the shed and get the shovel. He'd need it if he planned on picking up nearly a month's worth of dog shit. Again, nobody wanted to clean the backyard. The job hadn't been done in a very long time and everything had added up quickly.

Dream turned around when he heard the sliding door close with a loud slam, revealing Ashley who was holding a plate of steaks and trying to balance an entire tub of spices in her other hand. It was proving difficult, as she obviously struggled across the patio, wobbling slightly, looking as if she might drop everything any second.