The Love Letter

My head throbbed in pain as I winced at the light streaming in through my window. I sat up holding my aching head in my hand.

"Slow down, kiddo. Eld pushed my shoulder back down gently as the room came into focus. They were all here, Levi's squad.

"It was him, wasn't it? It was Cecile." I winced as Petra pressed a towel on a small cut on my head. I must've hit it when I fell.

"When we know, you'll know. Just relax."

"His eyes, I remember that look." I rubbed at my eyes, trying to rub away the drowsiness. " How long was I out?"

"About a day." Levi sat in a chair close to my bed. "You're not leaving that bed anytime soon, got that kid? You really need to rest."

"Yes, Captain." I winced at my throbbing head. A day and a half ...wasn't there something I was waiting for? I sat up quickly, my head spinning, my head and body aching, sharp pains ringing out all over my body. "The Cadets-!" Levi's hand was on my shoulder in a second, pushing me back to my previous position. "The ODM test, did they all pass-?"

"Tch." Levi lightly flicked my forehead. "What did I just say about resting? Seriously of all things to be worried about." Levi's voice stayed the same volume but his tone had changed.

"Sorry, Captain."

"This isn't going to be like the first time when you took this crap into your own hands. You. Are. Resting."

                                                                                         ...

        I watched the sunlight make its way across the floor and onto my bed as the sun began to set. All day in bed was boring and at this point, I had let Petra begin to play with my hair. The rest of the squad had already left my room, the only noise being Petra running the comb through my hair and the soft breeze coming through my window.

     "So, I wasn't going to say anything with the Captain around, but-." Petra began to trail off, putting the comb down and reaching into her pocket, "that red-haired boy told me about the note in your belt, I wouldn't normally do something like this but, he said it was important for you to know and only you. So I thought I would give it to you and if you wanted to tell someone you can. Petra smiled sweetly at me, handing me a folded-up piece of paper. I know I should've shown the Captain first, but it's your privacy." The paper crinkled in my hand a bit as I took it from her. "Plus I thought it would kind of weird if it was a love letter or something!" Petra blushed a bit, her hand rubbing the back of her neck nervously. My face began to heat, my heart about to burst out of my chest as I stared at the small paper in my hand. 

    "Thank you, Petra." Not too long after I spoke the words aloud, the door to my room shut and Petra was no longer in the room. I became aware of how hot my body had become and how tense my muscles had gotten. A love letter? Wind pushed my hair away from my face as I began to unfold it. 

           Dear, Quinn, I want to feel how soft your hair is between my fingers, I want to feel the warmth of your blush against my hand. I want to hold your hands in mine, thinking of it now makes me nervous, it really shouldn't, considering that we'll eventually do more if that's what you want of course. Don't worry I'll be patient with you.

       I didn't bother to finish the letter, my feet were under me in a second, my footsteps as quiet as possible as I began to get dressed. My face was burning with heat, my hands sweaty as I half-hazardly tucked in my shirt. I winced throwing my leg out my window. He's so dead.

"What a jerk." I mumbled under my breath as a sudden noise came from behind me. I whipped around as fast as my legs would allow me. I met eyes with Levi and Petra, Levi sitting in a chair positioned just a few yards away from my window, Petra standing next to him. Levi blinked at me. My heart rate increased. I turned back around in a hurry, practically throwing myself back into my room. I pressed my back into the wall below the window, doing my best to listen for voices over my pounding heartbeat. Nothing. A sigh of relief escaped my mouth, that could've been bad. I imagine that it still would be once I mostly recovered. I pulled the piece of paper out as quickly as possible skimming over the portion I had already read.