Chapter Two

The training season finally comes for new recruits. My demons haunt my thoughts, telling me I will blow my chance and fail. I clench my fists tightly, rebuking them. I replace the negative thoughts with the two years I spent with Levi. The two rigorous years of training with him finally ends today.

A small smile tugs at my lips, the farewell I was given keeping my hopes high. Just three more years and I'll be able to join him on his expeditions. He guaranteed me a spot on his team if I make it. "If" he said. Deep down, I know he was just messing with me. We both know I'll do just fine.

The wind blows against my back, throwing thick strands of hair into my face. The cold morning air bites at my cheeks. My clothes add warmth, however, the wind still finds its way through the cracks. I push through the pain, refusing to let a chance like this pass. Nodding with determination, I make my way to registration.

The registration process begins. We all stand in a line, facing others who stand in a line across from us. A man walks along the path we make. He holds a clipboard as he asks each one of us our names and origin. Fatigue washes over me watching him move at such a slow pace.

"Name and place of birth?" The man asks another recruit.

He places his right hand behind his back and slams his left fist across his chest. His right foot claps into his other and he stands up straight. "Eren Jaeger from the Shiganshina District!" He boldly states without hesitation.

My jaw slightly drops from the mention of that city. The recruit, Eren Jaeger, stands beside a blonde boy and an asian girl with long black hair who state they are from the same district; Armin Arlert and Mikasa Ackerman.

I look away with a deep frown. All three of them were there, suffering the same horrid scene I witnessed. The others around me stop their idles and stare at the trio from Shiganshina.

The officer crosses to the other side, stopping at me next. "State your name and place of birth!"

I salute, seizing onto my courage. I silence my demons and speak clearly for him to hear. My chest tightens as I give the fake name Alphanz and Mara gave me. "_____ Murae, from the Shiganshina District!" I feel the colour drain from my face. My body feels as though it is going to topple over any second. All eyes set on me with the same reactions given to the trio across from me.

I slowly nod with relief as the officer moves on. A slight wave of nausea forms in my gut afterwards. It quickly fades as I take a few steps forward. After being assigned, we are allowed to move freely. The cold morning breeze refreshes my mind, drying the sweat forming on my forehead.

My eyes drift off, landing on Eren who's beautiful emerald eyes flash my way for a split second before he focuses straight ahead of him. Perhaps I could go talk to him and the other two. Having friends who grew up in the same area I stayed in may give me a sense of comfort and belonging. I know I'm going to have a hard time without Levi. We were together every second of the day. And Hange and Erwin supported me as well while I trained with him. I'm going to miss them, even if it is only for a few years.

However, I think I'm far too shy and awkward to just approach someone and introduce myself. And bringing up Shiganshina will just open up old wounds. Perhaps a time will present itself later on and we just happen to speak to one another. We will be training in the same campus together so I'm sure I'll meet them one way or the other.

The day pushes on. All of us are introduced to the campus we will be working in for the next three years. The officers keep us moving, showing us around. We are assigned our uniforms to add to our personal spare clothes, toiletries, and other necessities. As the sun shifts to noon, we are all ordered to change into our new uniforms and meet our officers outside onto the sandy field.