~CHAPTER 36~

hey everyone. i'm thinking, when i've finished writing the whole story, i'll go back and rewrite it all in third person. i feel like it would all flow more cohesively in third person and all that (and ahah it's completely nothing to do with how cringy it is in first- uh huh TOTALLY). but it will be in a certain person's third perspective, so for example, take these random sentences i came up with:

"I looked outside, absentmindedly fidgeting with my hands as the rain continued to beat down heavily on the window outside. I wondered if the relentless torrent would ever stop- well, it was relentless. I doubted it would."

crappy, i know, but that's not the point. now, if i put it in Adrien's third person:

"Adrien looked outside, absentmindedly fidgeting with his hands as the rain continued to beat down heavily on the window outside. He wondered if the relentless torrent would ever stop- well, it was relentless. The blonde boy doubted it would."

see the difference? well if not, i'm sorry- there's not much more i can do. in retrospect, i should've decided that at the end, because now I'll be compelled to write like that- ughhhh. but anyway, that's just a small heads up! moving on to the chapter!

i feel like this fanfic will be coming to its natural close soon, don't you?

~

Bridgette's POV

"Luka!"

Lu-who?

"Marinette!" The newly identified boy, Luka, laughed as Marinette ran at him.

"How'd you get in? Where's Adrien? How'd you knock out a guard? Where's Alya? How'd you-"

"Woah, slow down," he chuckled, "one question at a time, please!"

Marinette grinned sheepishly as I raised an eyebrow at him expectantly.

He opened his mouth to speak but was cut short by a series of odd sounds coming from down the corridor. Loud, angry voices yelling over each other as frantic stumbling and the drawing of swords could be heard. It was faint, but it grew louder with each passing second. Luka's eyes widened as he glanced nervously in the direction of the noise. Felix spoke up, a calculating, intense look on his face as he strained his ears to work out the danger. "I'm estimating around 20 men. All wearing armour- and all armed with swords. I'd suggest we get out of here."

We all nodded in agreement, running down the musty hallway.

~

I came up short of breath. We'd been chased for- well, I couldn't tell you. Time had faded and all I could concentrate on was my one line of thought. This is your last chance. Do not get caught. Powered on this thought alone, I sprinted down the endless maze of twists and turns with my friends- and this boy Marinette knew. I made a mental note to interrogate him later.

Caught up in my thoughts, I hadn't even noticed when the adrenaline of the chase had worn off and I began panting. And here we are now, back to the present.

I came up short of breath. I looked around at everyone else, and they seemed to have trouble running too. We kept powering on, but after a short while, we just couldn't. We collapsed on the floor, doubling over and wheezing. Man, despite my training, I was really out of shape. I'd have to focus more on my stamina when we got back home.

I stopped at the thought. I hadn't even noticed, but I'd been pushing away a certain question since we began our quest- would we ever make it back home? But I guess that had been obvious enough to me. Our quest was simple- retrieve a book, retrieve the ingredients said book asked for, and return home to help my father, who, according to Marinette, was sick. Like I said- simple. But the question was now beginning to weigh on my shoulders. Clearly, the plan had not gone exactly how we hoped it would. Instead of getting the book, we got kidnapped and were now escaping from- well, god-knows-where at this point. I guess it was now questionable- would we ever make it back home? That goal, I realised, taking Marinette's hand and standing up, was less likely than it had ever been. And that truly scared me.