The Arrangement

Background info: you and all the other kingdoms have gone to war. The Dusk kingdom has proposed an alliance and your father (the king) agrees. To seal the deal you have to get married to your enemy (the prince from the Dusk kingdom) but nobody knows that you hate each other because you used to be childhood best friends and your parents just assume you'll get along just fine.

...

Adrian paces back and forth in the halls while I sit on the staircase waiting for him to say something. While he's pacing I look at how his jaw is clenched and his hands are balled into fists so tight I'm surprised he hasn't drawn blood yet. 

I hear him start muttering something along the lines of "stupid war, stupid family, stupid Victoria." It's obvious that he's pissed and because I'm just so kind I decide to piss him off further. "If I'm so stupid why don't you pack your bags and leave then?" He starts laughing hysterically. 

"You fool! You don't think I haven't tried that yet! I'm desperate to get out of this poor excuse of a palace! I'm even more desperate to get away from you because all you've ever done is cause trouble in my life! God how could I have ever been friends with someone as goddamn annoying as you! Can't you learn to keep your mouth shut and know your place!" 

The brutal words caught me by surprise because I had only made a small comment. I could now visibly see his breathing was ragged. I look up into his bright green eyes to see them full of regret. The words felt so sharp to me that you might as well have stabbed me. Adrian knew that too. 

I feel my face start to heat up and cheeks flush. I stand up and walk to the archway. My eyes start to water. Before I leave I look up at him and tell him in an unsteady tone, "Fine if that's what you want that's what you'll get."

 And with that I go to the only room that I'm sure will take my mind off of the brutally honest words. That room is my library.

...

As soon as I walk into the room I turn around and lock the door. The click of the door locking had never sounded more satisfying. I decided I've had enough surprises for today. 

I walk over to my chair that sits next to the window. The chair had become worn out after years upon years of use that you could tell it was at least a good 10-15 years old. Of course I didn't mind that. Soon after inspecting my chair I gaze out the window and start to see little splatters of raindrops fall from the sky. 

How fitting I think to myself. I look to see what book I left on the table last and find that it's my favorite. 

My fingers trace the worn out letters of the title that read out 'pride and prejudice.' I sigh to myself thinking about how many times I've read this book looking, searching, even yearning for my very own Mr.Darcy. I set the book back down onto the table gently.

 My eyes then move to the teacup that I left there last time I was in here. I look back up to the window where somehow I take comfort in the rain drops. It's a foreign feeling to me because I've always hated the rain.

 The slow steady fall of the rain steadily increases to the point I hear thunder crackle. Soon I feel something cool hit my hand and then another and another.

 It's my tears. 

I hadn't realized I had been crying till now. Instead of telling myself to suck it up I relish the feeling of sadness. It's then and only then that's it's the first time in a long time I've felt something. And I could thank Adrian for that.

...

That's it!!!! Thank you so much for all the reads and interactions from everyone!!! If you have any suggestions feel free to comment them or message them to me! As always you can point out grammar and spelling issues. Bye for now! -M