Chapter 41

Riley's POV

Shuffling on the bed wakes me up while it's still dark. Chocolate strawberries and tingles tell me it's Alexander. "You shouldn't be up and walking up stairs," I say as he pulls me to face him. It's too dark to see his face, but I just know he's smirking.

        "I missed you," he hums and presses his lips to my mark, sending tingles down to my toes.

        "Okay, well, go to sleep. You need to rest."

        He pulls me close, ignoring my protests of hurting him. I sigh when he refuses to put space between us. His soft snores soothe me back to sleep.

        I wake up to shuffling once agian.

        "Good morning beautiful. Or should I say afternoon," Alexander chuckles lowly. "We need to leave soon, so you might want to get dressed."

        "For what?"

        "The ball, Riley. It's a thirty minute drive and it starts in three house."

        I jump up quickly, almost bumping heads with Alexander.

        "Why didn't you wake me up earlier?"

        He shrugs, "you looked peaceful." I huff at his words. He looks down at his bare but bandaged chest. "Can you help me get this off?"

        "Sure," I say and pull him to our bathroom. He lifts me onto the counter by my hips and stands between my knees. "Is it ready to come off?"

        "Guess we'll find out." Alexander shrugs. I hesitantly reach out to the top of his bandage. It's wrapped from his left shoulder to his right hip around his back and front, forming a diagonal across his chest.

        I fumble for the end of the bandage like how most people fumble for the end of the tape once it's connected to itself. When I find it, I slowly unwrap it until I see a pale pink scar across his chest.

        "That should be healed by tomorrow without a scar," he says so soft it's almost a whisper. "Don't worry."

        "Why would I worry," I ask just as quietly. "You're not bleeding anymore and it won't kill you. Scar or not, I'm happy."

        "You wouldn't mind it, then? If I had a scar that covers up my looks?"

        I smile softly and run my fingers through his hair lightly. He needs a hair cut soon.  "I wouldn't mind if you had a million scars, Alexander." Again, I feel the three words jumping to be said. "I . . .  I just want you." I trail my hands to his torso, tracing his wound lightly.

        "How is someone as perfect as you, a mate for such an imperfect person as me?" He rests his forehead softly against mine and I close my eyes.

        "I should be asking you that."

        Suddenly, his lips capture mine and I smile into the affectionate gesture. One hand tangles in my hair, the other rubbing soft circles on my hip with his thumb. He's just almost deepend the kiss, when there's a loud bang on the door as it burst open.

        "What are yall doing?" Tom exclaims, dressed nicely in a tux with a similarly dressed Daniel beside him. "We have to go!"

        We've wasted too much time, so we have to get dressed in the car on the way there. He grabs his tux from the closet and we stop at my house for my dress.  Daniel drives Alexander's car and we sit in the back to change easier.

        Alexander easily slides into his suit, leaving his jacket and tie on the hanger for now. "What are you waiting for? Get dressed."

        "I'm not changing in front of you guys."

        "Not only are they mated, they're gay and I'm your mate. I don't see the problem here. They won't look." He gives them a warning glance and I see them nod.

        I blush and fiddle with my fingers. "But you will."

        He growls, "I'm your mate!  I have every right to look at you." After a moment, he reaches over to grab my hand. "You don't have to be self conscious with me. You're beautiful and I could never think anything different."

        Taking a deep breath, I set the dress out where I can slip it over my head. I swipe off my shirt and quickly exchange it for the dress. I hold the top up as I attempt to get my bra off with one hand. The dress is strapless and has padding built in, so I can't wear my bra. Warm fingers cover mine, unclasping my bra easily and I blush even though I've shown nothing. I slide the bra off. "Can you . . .  zip it?"

        With quick hands, he yanks the zipper up easily. Now, I can simply slide off my jeans and put on my shoes. Right as I strap the last shoe, we park at the event.

        "Let's go," Alexander says with a large smile.