Chapter 31

Alexander's POV

I walk downstairs and take a left into the medical wing. A man flusters by and I take him to be the pack doctor.

     "Excuse me. Can I get something for a migraine." My headache isn't that severe, but I want something strong.

    "Of course . . ., " he stares at me as I sink down into a weird chair. Ugh, modern art.

    "Crescent, " I reply huskily as I rub my aching temples.

    He gasps, "Oh, Alpha Crescent! It's an honor to help you."

    What? An honor to give us pills? My wolf snides.  

    Shut up, idiot.

    Not my fault we're jealous of Riley's brother.

    Oh, isn't it, I snap.

    One sniff of our Luna and this headache would go away.

    Yeah?! Well she- I cut off my inner yell as the doctor clears his throat. His hand holds out 6 pills.

            "Take one every four --"

            "Thanks, doc." I interrupt him as I scoop up the pretty pink pills and toss all 6 into my mouth, taking them dry. I stand up and walk into the main room where Alpha Stone is speaking to his Beta.

            "Stone," I acknowledge.     "Ah, Alexander. I'm glad you've joined us. We were just discussing the challenge. Actually, we're a little concerned with the lack of rogues we've seen. How do you feel. . ."

            I listen intently as he continues, See this is where I belong. Not giggling about a fake planet.

     That's not what's really upsetting you.

     Shut up. I snap

            Stone checks his phone. "Are we ready?"

            I nod reassuringly as he begins to walk out the door. Cindy is alreay out there and hugs Stone tightly. "Alexander," he calls. "Would you mind speaking for me?"

            "Yes sir."

            He shifts into a light tan wolf and lets out a deep, Alpha howl. Most of the pack members are already in the clearing. Everyone stays in human form -- per the rules of a family Alpha challenge. I hear a girly scream and turn to see Rey jump out of his second story window, dragging Riley along. They land safely with Riley in his arms; but I'm still mad.

    She's not a complete wolf!

    She doesn’t have the full wolf strength and could have been seriously injured.

            I struggle to hold in a growl.

            Rey strips and shifts into a tan and black spotted wolf.  He howls a less mature howl than his father.

            The pack members around us howl and cheer.

            "Stone Pack!" I proclaim through the clearing at the large pack. I can feel my mate's eyes on me and I try not to smirk. This is the voice of a real Alpha. "Some of you may recognize me. I'm Alpha Crescent and I have the honor of being your future Alpha's future brother-in-law. Everyone greet Riley Stone as part of your pack's royal heritage!"

            They cheer again and I smile. "Tonight, we honor a ritual of our ancestors! Tonight, we present Rey Stone the opportunity to be the rightful Alpha of this pack!" Once more, the pack cheers.

            The rising moon casts a soft silver glow through the clearing. The two Stones step nose to nose in the middle of everyone. I rest my hand on Stone's shoulder. "Stone Pack, are you ready for this challenge?" I call.

            A chorus of 'yes's echo around us. I turn to the two wolves. "Good luck." Walking backwards to Riley I shout, "Let the challenge . . . begin!"

            Wrapping my arm around Riley's waist I do what I've wanted to do for a while. I turn my head to the right and lean down to her short height. I take a deep breath of her vanilla coconut smell, immediately calming me. I remember once when we were lying in bed -- I was playing with her hair and she was almost asleep -- she told me I smell like a chocolate strawberry.  How unmanly is that.  As long as she likes chocolate strawberries, I don't mind.

     Shut up, I tell my wolf.

            I shift my attention to the challenge. Rey is circling his father with a growl. I'm not sure how weird it feels to growl at your father. Like I said, I was a special case.

            Stone gives him a deeper growl.

            Rey decides to attach first. Bad idea. Always you defense first unless you're small and weak. Not that I'm calling Rey small and weak.

            Well . . .

            Stone rolls to his back and uses Rey's momentum against him. He uses his legs to catch Rey as he lands on him and shoots Rey over his head.  I flinch as Rey lands with a thud.  This continues for a while and I notice Rey getting tired. I stand up taller and furrow my eyebrows. If Rey gets tired at fighting one old man, how will he handle the Rogues?

            Stone has noticed his weakness and lunges to pin him, leaving himself completely unprotected.  Which is exactly what Rey wants. Stone has fallen right into his trap and it's too late to change directions. Rey vaults Stone - using his own method against him - and pins Stone before he could get back to his paws.

            Everyone is silent as half of the pack looks at the frozen wolves and the other half look to me for my call.

            I open my mouth to announce the winner, but Riley beats me to it. "Rey wins!"

            "Alpha Rey Jonathan Stone, we welcome you as full leader of the Stone Pack," I finish.