Off ~ Natasha Romanoff

Natasha has been off with me. Normally anytime either of us are free we spend time together, it doesn't matter what we're doing but we do it together. Being an Avenger is hectic so we take all the time we can get, but lately I barely see her. For the past week anytime I try to make plans or spend time with her she's 'busy' or 'has plans' and runs off.

Every night, no matter what, we always sleep next to one another, my room or hers and Natasha's always the little spoon. As well as never spending time with me, she hasn't slept in the same bed as me by her own choice in a week. Four days ago I just let myself into her room and got into bed with her but she wasn't touchy and looking cuddles like normal.

She always makes me breakfast and I always make us dinner, it's a little pact we have but I've had to make my own breakfast for the past week because I can never find her in the morning and I find out from the others that she's already ate. She avoids me at dinner time too, making up stupid excuses not to be there.

I'm tired and sick of it. Even when she's had a problem or trust issues, she's always told me how she feels and doesn't push me away. Just as this whole 'off period' started, she told me she was going to spend the day with her sister. But I found out from Tony that she was with Steve and ever since, we haven't been the same.

She hasn't told me she loves me since then. She hasn't picked me up bridal style and carried me around, laughing while I squealed. She hasn't tickled me until I can't breath. She hasn't made dirty jokes or sent me her signature smirk. She hasn't pulled me into bed in the middle if the day for cuddles. She hasn't asked me to piggyback her places. She hasn't dragged me to her bathroom for a pamper night with face masks and painting each other's nails. She hasn't run us a bubble bath where she sits between my legs and just lays on me, completely relaxed. She hasn't told me all her problems and ranted to me while I play with her hair while she's resting her head on my lap.

And these were all things that happened at least twice a week. She was really off. And although I've been trying to convince myself that I'm wrong...I think she cheated on me.

~<——>~

It was just before dinner time and I strolled into Natasha room to see her sitting on the bed with her head in her hands. She jumped when she saw me and quickly plastered on a smile, but I can always see through it. "I'm making dinner, and no exceptions. You're gonna eat it, come on." I told her, grabbing her hand and leading her to the kitchen.

It was quiet while I made us a meal, usually we both are laughing and don't stop chatting, but we're both just silent. Other Avengers are moving in and out of the room, grabbing food and leaving again, which breaks up the constant silence between us.

Something caught my eye though. When Steve walked into the room he smirked at her and nodded towards me slightly with a frown and I glanced over to her, she shook her head with slightly widened eyes and he left again.

This was looking more and more like worst case scenario. When I handed her the plate, she thanked me and left to eat in her room, leaving me in the empty kitchen to eat on my own.

~<——>~

I was tossing and turning at 12:30am, unable to sleep as my mind was racing. I was imagining her and Steve, How long? Was it one time? Does he want her to leave me? Should I leave her first? I couldn't do it anymore.

I slipped out of my room and walked towards hers when I heard voices.

'You have to say something Nat'

'No. I can't.'

'You have to tell her.'

'No. No I don't Steve.'

'You're only hurting yourself. And her too by the looks of it.'

I swung open the door with clenched fists and jaw as I looked between Natasha and Steve. "Get out." I told him and he didn't hesitate to scurry past me. "What the fuck is going on?!" I snapped and closed the door behind me.

She sat down on the bed and put her hands on her face as she took a deep breath. "Are you screwing Steve? And be honest because I can't deal with lies and you know that." I scowled. Her head snapped up and she looked at me with panic and wide eyes.

"W-what. N-no. No. Why would you think I'm cheating on you?!" She asked, making me scoff. "You weren't with your sister last week, you were with Steve. And you haven't been the same since." I told her and watched her bury her head in her hands once again.

"I promise you that I'm not cheating on you." She said as she drew her hands back and I watched the tears well in her eyes, "What was that all about then?" I quizzed.

"You don't get it." She muttered, "THEN MAKE ME GET IT NATASHA!" I yelled and finally let the tears fall that had been threatening to for so long. "I LOVE YOU OKAY!" She yelled back, standing up and walking in front of me.

"I already know that Natasha. You've said it before." I told her, trying to hold in the sobs. "But I don't just love you. I want to wake up every morning next to you in our own house. I want you to wake up to the smell of coffee and breakfast in bed that I made you and the noise of our kids running through the house in their pyjamas to say good morning. I want us to grow old in a house by the beach where our grandkids come to visit us all the time. I want that all with you y/n." She told me, tears now running down her face.

"Then why push me away?" I asked softly, my heart fluttering and my whole body warm and tingly. "I wasn't cheating on you with Steve that day last week. We were shopping."

"Shopping?" I quizzed with a raised eyebrow. She hates shopping. She sighed in response and stayed quiet for a moment.

"For engagement rings"

"W-what?" Was all I could blurt out. She wanted to marry me?

"That's why I've been off. You'll say no if I ask and I'll ruin what we have." She muttered looking at the ground.

I didn't have any words for how I felt in that moment so instead I showed her. I placed one hand on her cheek and the other to her hip as I latched my lips onto hers. I took her by surprise but she relaxed into it and I think it's safe to say we've never had a kiss like it.

It was so full of love, joy, sorrow and relief, we were pouring our hearts and souls into that kiss. When she pulled away breathless, she had a wide grin on her face.

"Natasha?" I asked her as I placed my forehead on hers, "mhm?"

"Will you marry me?"

Just like I did, she placed her lips on mine and wrapped her arms around my neck as she kissed me.

"Is that a yes then?" I mumbled against her lips, "Of course it is you dork." She mumbled back.

Im still in shock that this has over 20k reads. Thats mental. Its the last thing I expected when I started this and thank you so much to everyone who reads these xoxo