The assistant ~ Pepper potts

"If you need any help, call my assistant through JARVIS. Oh and you meet the rest of the team tomorrow." Mr Stark told me as he closed the door, leaving me in the room all by myself.

It had all happened so quickly. Growing up, I didn't realise that there was something different about me until my parents kicked me out at 17. I was able to read minds, so you can understand the confusion in those around me when I would respond to their thoughts.

I was now 32 and Nick Fury had found me and took me to a SHIELD tower, where I was poked and prodded about my abilities until they introduced me to Mr Stark. I pride myself on being an excellent judge if character, mind reading aside, and when I met Stark, I knew he was a talkative one.

I didn't say much, a quick hello and a couple nods, thats how I had always been. I could tell he didn't quite know what to think of me, I could also tell that he used humour as a way to lighten up tense situations as well as a coping mechanism for past trauma. He had a whole lot of daddy issues.

I was brought to Stark tower and led through it by Tony himself, showing me the kitchen, training room and everywhere else I would need. He then walked me to my room, where he left me alone.

The room was done up beautifully, with silk sheets, a modern bathroom and a closet filled with clothes. This might not be so bad after all.

"Hey JARVIS?" I called out to the AI system Tony had told me about. "Yes, miss Y/l/n?" It called back in a posh tone. "I need to collect things from my old apartment, who could help me with that?" I asked it and it replied quickly. "I could notify Miss Potts, Mr Stark's assistant, if you'd like?"

I thought about it for a second before I agreed and waited nervously on my bed, fidgeting with a pillow. Five minutes later I heard the door click open and my head shot up and I watched in awe as the most beautiful woman I've ever set eyes on walked in.

She was wearing a tight, white, skirt which stopped above her knees with a matching white blazer and nude heels. Her hair was strawberry blonde with loose curls at the end and a fringe that suited her features. She was confident and met me with a warm smile which I quickly returned, unable to keep my eyes off her.

"JARVIS tells me you need to run an errand." She said politely as I stood up off the bed, "Yea, to my old apartment. Um, I'm y/n by the way." I said nervously but looked down to see her hold her hand out for me to shake which I did. I almost melted to her touch and looked down to hide the blush that I feared I might have. "Pepper." She told me before taking her hand away and leading me out.

The car ride was silent, but a comfortable silence. We were in the back as a driver made his way through the streets of New York while I gave him directions. "Stark didn't say much about you." She said all of a sudden, making my head whip around.

"That's surprising." I replied, this time making her turn her head as well as raise an eyebrow. "And why is that?" She questioned, making me smirk, "He seems to say a lot." I told her, making her laugh. God, her laugh made me melt. "Yes, he does like to hear himself doesn't he." She agreed. The driver stopped and I looked out the car window to see my apartment building.

I led the gorgeous woman through the building to my apartment. When I turned the key and opened the door I saw a familiar ball of fluff run my way.

Crouching down, I picked up my small grey cat and spun her around as I kissed her nose. im hungry "I know your hungry baby." your a useless owner "Hey! It's not my fault eyepatch wouldn't let me come home to feed you!"flesh-monger "Shut up, I'll cook you." I said with a few seconds pause in between before setting her down and walking further in.

When I realised there were no footsteps behind me, I turned to see Pepper still at the door with a confused and shocked look on her face. "Did you just threaten a cat?" She asked me. I just laughed and nodded for her to come in, which she did.

"Stark really didn't say much about me huh." I muttered as I set out some cat food. "Coffee?" I asked her and when she nodded I began to brew a pot. "I can read minds, including animals. And Toffee called me a flesh-monger so yea I did threaten to cook her." I said in a matter of fact tone.

Pepper just stood there, looking at me for few seconds before she sat down on a barstool at the island. "So you read minds." She asked and I hummed a yes while pouring the coffee I to two mugs and handing her one. "Have you read my mind?" She questioned as I sat down beside her at the counter.

"No. I learned to resist it, whereas when I was young I couldn't help but hear everyone's thoughts all the time. It was overwhelming." She nodded and took a sip of coffee, letting the new information sink in. "I gotta pack but I'll be quick." I told her and went to my bedroom and began putting clothes and other important stuff into a couple duffle bags.

When I walked back out of the bedroom, Pepper was in front of the calendar on my fridge. She turned around when she heard me with a raised eyebrow and arms folded.

"You never told me it was your birthday!" She said, scolding me but with a hint of excitement in her voice. "Probably the same reason I don't know when your birthday is." I said, grabbing Toffee with my free arm. "We're going out tonight." She told me bluntly and lifted one of the bags off me as she walked towards the door.

Can I just say how bizarre it is that this book has like 9k reads. Like thats a lot. Like a whole lot. Its so cool that people are commenting that they like the stories as well as suggesting new ones. Thank you so much for reading these x

Also can you all follow my new tiktok @_xmarvelfansx_ I would really appreciate it. Xoxo