"Nick!"

"Well, I never phone in sick and well, with your soon-to-be ex-husband knowing about us, I thought it would probably best to stay away until the dust settles. It means I can spend the day with you instead." He shrugs and takes a sip.

"I need to look for a better-paying job now. I'm going to be a divorcee, but I suppose I could slot you in," I tease. "Wait, what do you mean, the third date? We've only been on one."

"Well, this is our second date," he points out. "Wine, I'll order food, and I thought we could start the old argument on what TV to watch early on in our relationship."

I snort and a laugh escapes my lips. It vibrates around the glass as I take a sip. "I suppose I accept. How can anyone say no to that?"

He snorts and takes his wine before making himself comfortable on the sofa. I smile at how easy this is compared to how awkward it was with Joel. I wonder if that means anything, or whether I'm looking for comparisons because my marriage has fallen apart.

"How will your parents respond to the news, do you think?" Nick asks.

"Of my divorce? Well, they won't like it. But I don't care," I admit. "They might disown me, and if this was two years ago, I would be so scared of it. At this point, I know I can't live in their shadow anymore. Their forced marriage didn't make any sense when we were going to give Gabriel to another family, so why would I continue in something that makes both Joel and me miserable any longer?"

He nods. "What if they do disown you?"

I take a sip of my wine before responding. "In a way, I'll be upset because they're my parents, you know. Despite their... devout beliefs and our strained relationship, I still love them. It'll essentially be like I die; I've seen it happen in the congregation, and it's essentially like a death, it's a final thing. So yeah, I'll be sad but, in a way, I know it's best for me because they can't reign over me anymore."

"What of Joel?"

"He said he'd give me half the savings, and I can keep this place. We have nothing else. I guess I'll pack up his things, and he can have them when he leaves the hospital. We've ended on a good note so it's not too drastic," I say with a shrug.

"You won't miss him?" Nick asks with a small smirk.

"Of course, I will, I've lived with him for two years," I say. "I'll miss the company more than him. It's hard because I want to be there for him right now... I can't imagine the pain he's going through with Huntington's disease. Well, you must know, but I... we're not good for each other."

"He's actually doing okay," Nick says. "The main symptom he has is the seizures and they seem to be better controlled with the new drug—"

"Should you be telling me any of this?" I cut him off.

"Until he changes it, or your divorce comes through, you are his next of kin. He hasn't asked us not to tell you anything," he says. "The stiffness in his muscles has actually eased up with the drugs as well. The mood swings and the brain fog he says is okay because he's not trying to concentrate on his degree."

"How long do you think he has?" I question.

Nick sighs and finishes his drink before he meets my gaze. "I don't know, Aspen. He's doing okay now; in fact, he could go home soon, but it's a guessing game. Your guess is as good as mine. Like I've said to you before, most patients with Juvenile Huntington's disease don't make it past ten years after their symptoms start. It's... he could go five years; he could go fifteen. It depends on so many different things."