Chapter 2

As we travelled towards Britannia, I was thinking about the implications of Kay becoming King. I wish I'd read Arturian legend more carefully. From what I understand, Kay should never have had the qualifications to be recognized as the rightful King of England. I'm not certain if Caliburn chose Artoria in the normal timeline because of her character, or because of Merlin deciding so. If it's the first case, then perhaps Kay's travels with us as well as after we separated may have had a very large impact on his personality. That would truly be ironic, to have tried so hard to escape that prophecy yet indirectly create the very King we sought to avoid.

In the latter case, what is Merlin up to? I doubt he wants to mess with us. If what he wanted was for us to be rulers, he would have checked in on us much more at Ector's. It is quite possible that Merlin wants to wed one of us to Kay. We belonged to the bloodline of King Uther. If what he really wanted was legitimacy for his new chosen King Kay, then what better way would there be than with a royal marriage?

Also, I wonder what Morgan Le Fay is up to in all of this. I refuse to believe she is just doing nothing while someone not even of her blood takes the throne. If she was that okay with losing the throne, Camelot wouldn't have turned out so tragically. I hope Kay is alright.

I wish I'd practiced my combat and magecraft skills more. Artoria and I, we'd nearly halted practice completely. We were so caught up in our happiness that we let ourselves lose vigilance. I thought we were free of England, but here we are returning right into the center of the political arena as the sisters of the King himself. If anything does go wrong, my magecraft won't be able to tip the scale.

Altera: Artoria, I'm not sure what to expect when we reach there. But there may be great conflict. We'll have to get stronger.

Artoria: What makes you think things will go wrong?

Altera: This is going too smoothly. With meddlers like Merlin and Morgan Le Fay in England, can things really keep going so smoothly?

Artoria: You always spoke so highly of them. Are wizards so terrifying as you say?

Altera: Look, we almost never encountered any powerful wizards on our travels. That was a blessing. The more powerful mages of this world could devastate us. We wouldn't last even a minute. We have a lot of magical potential, we could have been great mages by now if we'd tried. We still can be.

Artoria: Okay sister, if you believe we'll need it. I will try my best as well. I just hope it will be enough.

We eventually made our way to Camelot itself. There was a grand castle there, and Kay came out to greet us himself.

Altera: My my, the King himself coming out to greet some mere peasants. What a virtuous King we have here.

Artoria, catching on, joined in my teasing.

Artoria: Why yes sister, I do believe this King is probably the most virtuous I have ever encountered. In fact, the bards on our travels would sing of the Great King Kay, who could vanquish any army and charm any woman into his bed.

Kay: I haven't been sleeping around!

Altera: So the rest is true? I wonder what's kept you from sleeping around. You were always such a flirt after all.

Kay: Actually, that's one of the reasons I'd wanted to invite you guys here. I wanted to introduce you to my fiance. Her name is Morgan Le Fay.

Artoria and I shared a look that spoke volumes. Confusion, fear, shock, hope, excitement. Many emotions flashed through our eyes. Soon, a woman who wore a startling resemblance to us came up to us and introduced herself.