Fix You- History Repeating

Depuis le début

"Hey, I gotta get to class," Jeremy said then. "I'll see you later."

"Yeah, see ya," I smiled.

Jeremy walked away, sending a glance in Stefan's direction. I walked up to Stefan then and tucked a lock of hair behind my ear.

"You had Elena worried," I told him, recalling how she texted me saying Stefan wasn't in class. She was really worried he killed Damon and went in to some self-destructive mode after. I assured her that Stefan didn't kill Damon, I was at the house long enough to be sure he didn't.

"I know," he said looking down. "She told me."

"You talked to her?"

"Outside, yeah," he nodded. "She's...not very happy with me right now. Which is a good thing."

"Okay...why?" I asked.

He sighed.

"I'm not coming to school anymore," he said. "I'm going to...distance myself from it."

I stared at him, shocked and hurt. I knew when he said he was going to distance himself, he didn't just mean from school.

"You're doing it to protect Elena, aren't you?" I asked knowingly.

"Not just Elena, you too," Stefan insisted. "Damon is dangerous. Lexi was proof enough that he's willing to hurt anyone, even though he claims that was to keep the town off our tracks."

Kill your brother's best friend to protect him and yourself. I had to admit it made sense, but at the same time it was cruel. Lexi didn't deserve to die and Stefan didn't deserve to lose her.

"He has a reason to stay," I realized then. "That's why he did it. Why does he want to stay?"

"He won't tell me," Stefan groaned. "I'm going to try to find out though."

I bit my lip and nodded.

"Okay," I said simply. "So...say you do get Damon to tell you what you want to know...what then?"

"Try to convince him to leave town. Once I'm sure he's gone...maybe I'll leave too. It would make sense, now that Zach's gone."

"You know you don't have to do this, Stefan," I said softly. "You don't have to pull away from us."

He shook his head.

"I want you to be safe," he said.  "Your safety and Elena's are what matter here. Not what I want. I'm sorry, Sam."

With that, he turned and walked away before I had the chance to say anything else. It hurt and I knew Elena would be hurt, but I knew it wasn't our call. I would miss my friend and I knew Elena would miss him since I knew she loved him, even if she didn't realize it herself, but it was his choice.

~~~~~

"Damon did what?" I demanded.

Chastity, Elena, Bonnie, and I were in Bonnie's car after school on our way home. Bonnie had just told us all about Damon coming to school and threatening her.

"He scared the crap out of me," Bonnie said. "He's bad news, guys."

"You need to stay as far away from Damon as possible, Bonnie," Elena told her.

"I'm trying!" Bonnie insisted. "He just keeps showing up!"

"Maybe I should pay him a visit," Chastity said. "Aunt Claire's been showing me lots of new spells that can hurt...certain types of people."

I shared a look with her and shook my head. She couldn't hurt Damon, not without risking Damon hurting her back or worse.

"I don't want to kill him, I just want him to leave me alone," Bonnie said.