Chapter 12

5031 Words

This is a beta version of Enar's Vacation. Changes can - and probably will - be made as a result of reader feedback. I hope you'll enjoy it and I hope you'll take the time to give me some feedback. It will help me make this story the best it can be.

+++

They finished the meal in silence. While Enar hadn't felt hungry after Burre and Gitta left, he eventually found his plate empty in front of him. He put down his knife and fork and dabbed at his mouth with his napkin. A shave would be in order.

He'd tried the rugged unshaven look a few times while at university, but he'd just looked sloppy, and had eventually given it up. Maybe he could pull it off now that he was older? It wasn't like he had much choice but to give it a go anyway. No way he'd shave in the cold water from the pump.

"There we go my friend." Rolf let out a loud belch and patted himself on the belly. "Well fed and ready to rest."

"Manners, dear."

Rolf stuck his tongue out at his wife, chuckled, and blew her a kiss. Beired scowled at him and raised a warning finger. Enar groaned to himself. No more arguments. Please! The little woman glared over at her husband, and then her face bloomed into a smile.

Enar let his shoulders slump and he shook his head. He could definitely do with a nap in peace and quiet now; calm his nerves a little. "Uhm..." Sitting up a little straighter he turned to Rolf and cleared his throat. "How does it work with payment here? How much do I owe and who do I give it to? I didn't read anything about this before I came here."

"Well my friend, that's because there's nothing to read. You don't owe anyone a thing." Rolf paused and swept his hand out to encompass the people seated all around them. "The Restday meal is for the village and by the village. We all contribute to it and we all take part of it. If it had been our week, you and I would have been in the kitchen helping out with the dishes now. Lucky for you, it's not our week, and instead we'll be heading out for a nap under the oaks.

"That does sound a lot better than doing all the dishes for everyone." Enar paused and thought for a momnet. "Has it always been like that? I've not heard of it before."

"Aye my friend, as far as anyone can remember it's always been like this here, and it's nothing like this anywhere else." Rolf crossed his arms over his chest and chuckled. "I guess we're a bit weird like that up in these hills."

"Definitely," said Beired. "Blankets?"

"I'll get them. Will you send Erik over and help me carry when you find him. He should be around soon."

"I'm here dad." Carrying Loianna on one arm, Erik appeared beside the table. "How was your meal? I saw Gitta storm off in a huff earlier, dragging Burre along. You know anything about that?" He looked back and forth between his father and his mother - rather pointedly.

Rolf said nothing.

"The usual." Beired shaded her eyes with her hand and looked at her son. "Blankets."

"Oh, yes, sure thing. Here." Erik handed his little sister over to his mother. "Dad, you coming too?" He set off towards the door of the inn.

Rolf sighed, got to his feet, and followed Erik.

"Mommy!" Loianna threw her arms around her mother in a big hug, "I ate all of my food Erik gave me and now I will be big like you when I grow up."

"Good girl." Beired smiled and kissed her on the cheek. "Can you walk on your own or do you want me to carry you?"

"Carry!" She yawned and rested her head against her mothers shoulder."I'm tired."

"Very well then." Beired somehow managed to get to her feet without either dropping her daughter or tipping her chair over. "Enar, my bag - please." She pointed at a bundle on the ground beside the chair.