Chapter 20 (Henry)

Começar do início

David and I found Felix and I hissed when I saw whom he had captured. "How on earth did you manage to kill Louis?" Louis was my father's assassin. He was beyond deadly and my mind reeled at how Felix could have stopped him. He was dead with a hole in his chest.

Felix looked as confounded as we were. "By accident really, poor Louis here is getting a bit long in the tooth it seems. Or cocky, I'm not sure. Anyway, he had a silver accident." Felix held up a sniper rifle and said, "I smelled him as he approached and grabbed this from our stash."

"Well, I suppose we have no choice now," I said. "Tonight, we return to court." I hoped my Little Fawn was ready. "I have some arrangements to make, can you two take care of the body? Burn it?"

They agreed and I returned to the house, calling Alex on the way.

"Henry," Alex said, "to what do I owe this phone call at 1.24 am."

"Sorry, I didn't check the time. I would have called anyway. My father sent an assassin after us. I don't have any more details as he is no longer able to speak."

"That's a shame, he may have been good company."

"It is what it is. Anyway, we have to move, we will be returning home and presenting Fawn to court. Are you ready for that? Do you need me to leave Felix with you.?" 

"No, I think we will be fine."

"Alex, I'm sorry you have to go through this tomorrow. I'm sorry, you couldn't work out another way as we did," I said with sincere sorrow.

"Just promise me you will take care of my family if all goes to shit." Alex just as sombrely. "I'm trusting you not only with my son but with my mate, daughter and mother."

"I know Alex, but I know you will be there for Fawn if anything happens to me." Shifting my tone, I said, frustrated, "Couldn't you have tried to talk her out of it?"

Alex surprised me by laughing, "Henry, she stood up to me in the middle of my first transition period, and you know how volatile young wolves are. She's not only stubborn but courageous as hell. I think she needs a new nickname, she was never really a Fawn, more of a lioness."

Despite everything that was happening, Alex made me chuckle, "Yeah you're probably right." I wondered if he knew about her calling me a Lion. 

"Keep me updated tomorrow."

"Will do," I paused hesitantly. "I wanted to hate you, Alex, I really did. But I understand why she was with you."

Alex was quiet a moment and then spoke honestly, "The way I treated her and Charlie is the biggest regret of my life. I felt so guilty, but she has forgiven me, and I'll never understand why. I'm so grateful she has you now, I can see you appreciate her." He chuckled, "I will still fuck you up if you hurt her. My boy needs his mother."

"I would expect nothing less. Make sure you explain to Charlie why she couldn't come to see him before she left. I imagine we will be away for quite some time before she can see him again."

"Tell her I will," Alex said. "Good luck."

"May the Goddess bless you with abundant hunting, a warm fire and a fertile mate," I said, in the ancient wolf tradition of goodbye.

"And may She bestow that and more unto you," Alex said reverently and we hung up.

I pulled everyone together and told them we had to leave immediately. Work began fast and the cars were packed quickly. Felix and Angela went in David and Lawrence's car leaving Fawn and I alone.

My Fawn was holding back her tears, but I know her thoughts were on Charlie, knowing that she may not see him again for some time. She had been strong in front of the others, but now she was falling apart.