☆twenty-eight☆ (before the maze)

Zacznij od początku

"We could... volunteer to go up in there and break them out of the Maze?" The boy suggested, shrugging slightly. Mae resisted the urge to slap him, but took a deep breath instead.

"They would wipe our memories, you idiot! You know for one of the smartest kids in this whole place, you really are the dumbest boy I've ever met."

"At least you get to look at my pretty face all day long," Will said cockily. The girl stared at him with an unamused look on her face for a few seconds, until she couldn't contain it any longer, bursting into giggles. Will laughed right back, his lips curling up into a smug grin.

The pair didn't come up with any brilliant ideas, aside from turning all of WICKED into cranks- but they decided that wouldn't be the best idea, considering their friend Newt wasn't immune.

And it would be a very cruel thing to do.

The next morning, a woman with dark hair and sweet brown eyes named Dr. Cooper woke Mae up urgently. Terrified something had gone wrong in the Maze, the fourteen year old girl quickly got dressed and left Teresa sleeping in their room.

Dr. Cooper led her to a private meeting room, and she looked extremely paranoid as she glanced around to make sure no one was watching them. Will was already waiting, sitting in a chair and fiddling with the zipper of his jacket. He gave Mae a small smile when she took a seat next to him, and he looked just as confused as she felt.

"I'm sure you're both very curious why I called you here-" The woman was rushed, but still wore a warm smile. "And you're very entitled to know. I need your help."

Mae's smile dropped.

"You guys have asked for our help in the past. It only ended up with our friends in a deadly stone box. What makes you think we want to say yes?" She asked, frowning.

"Yeah? Trying to manipulate us into hurting more innocent kids?" Will snapped, leaning back in his seat with his jaw clenched.

"No. I want to help you save those children." Now, their attention was caught. They shared a look, unsure of whether to trust her or not.

"How do you expect to do that?" Mae asked curiously.

Dr. Cooper took a deep breath, shuffling through some papers on the table in front of them.

"I need you to promise to keep quiet. You can't tell anyone about this- not your sister," She looked straight at the girl now. "Not your friends, Dr. Paige, anyone. This must remain secret." The doctor said, her tone suddenly more serious and stern than before.

Will and Mae shared a look. They didn't know Dr. Cooper too well, but she had always been kind hearted and treated the kids less like subjects, and more like humans. That being said, this could be just another one of WICKED's sick tests- and they couldn't be one hundred percent sure that she was telling the truth.

"Just tell us your plan, then we can decide." Will stated finally, as if he had read Mae's mind. Dr. Cooper nodded solemnly, preparing to explain her proposal.

"WICKED has made some grave mistakes. The Flare has manifested itself within our walls, I've already identified three individuals I can clarify are infected. Once Dr. Paige and the others find out, they're going to enact the Purge. The Purge is a secret emergency procedure meant to... 'get rid' of the infected so that WICKED can continue it's search for the cure."

"When the purge happens, Dr. Paige will come to you for help, as you are immune."

"What do you mean, come for us to help?" Mae questioned, curious and nervous for the answer. Dr. Cooper's face flashed with pity and sorrow.