Chapter 35

The ambulance screeched around a corner and plowed through the gates of the dragonkin compound, blasting past the two unsuspecting kin before they could do anything. Ian's hands were supporting Rhia's head to the side to keep her from choking. His head was hung low, stuck in a trance-like state, and muttering in a low whisper, using every ounce of power he had to keep her from seizing again.

Maddox held Rhia's limp hand in a crushing grip. He was shaking uncontrollably, but that could have been the wild ambulance ride. "Come on, kid." He tried to shut out the memory of that horrible moment he found her on the kitchen floor of the house she used to share with Church. Crying, broken, bruised, and bloody... it had been lucky Church wasn't there. Maddox would have shot him. It had been the worst drive of his life. Until now at least. "Don't you do this to me again." He begged.

"She's going to be fine." The dragonkin, Dáithí, said with a conviction Maddox just couldn't comprehend.

"How do you know?" Maddox narrowed his eyes at the male's hand on her hip. That was an awfully intimate gesture for a guy she'd never mentioned before.

"Her powers are awakening." His mouth curled up in a smile.

"What does that mean?!"

"She's half-blood kin."

"She's human! There are no half-blood dragonkin."

"The dragons would love for the world to think that."

Rhia jerked and a strangled, guttural sound came from her throat. Ian's muttering intensified. Dáithí's hand slipped up her waist and he leaned forward, inching closer to her. Maddox grabbed Dáithí by the collar of his shirt and forced him back in the seat, then grabbed his index finger off Rhia's waist and wrenched it back until he felt bones crack. Sand-colored snake eyes met his in a silent threat.

The doors opened suddenly, and two dragonkin looked skeptically at the group. "This is a private health facility." The male said coolly. "There is nothing we can do for a-"

"Dáithí?" the female gasped. "What are you doing here?"

Dáithí shoved Maddox off him and hopped out of the ambulance. "Help her." he snapped shortly.

"No." the male snarled back. "Take her to a human hospital."

He grabbed the healer and shoved him against the wall, snarling as if he were in his dragon skin. "Help her." his voice was darker, hoarser.

"What are you doing?" the healer hissed back. "How are you... you shouldn't be able to-"

Dáithí cut off his air and moved his face within millimeters of the other male. "I am not one of your dragons' pets." He growled. "Help. Her."

The female stepped into the ambulance and scooted around the side opposite of Maddox. Gently she pushed Ian back. The faeling sucked in a gasp as his hold on the magic snapped. Maddox grabbed his shoulders to keep him from slumping to the floor. Rhia's eyes flew open and a sudden pulse of magic tore from her body. The ambulance shut down and the female's movements turned urgent. "Mithras!" she called to the male as she tilted Rhia's head back to get a better look at her eyes. The eyes of a dragonkin. "Mithras, we need to get her inside now!"

Mithras slowly edged around the snarling Dáithí until he could look into the vehicle. His own eyes widened in shock. "She's yfeerie." Dáithí hissed.

Mithras gripped the railing of the stretcher and dragged it out with the female's help. Without another word, they pushed her towards the doors of the facility. Dáithí held the door open for them and jerked his head for Ian and Maddox to follow. The healers were shouting for help and several kin joined them. At a pair of heavy double doors, the female that recognized Dáithí turned and stopped the three males. "You can't go in with her." She said quickly.