Chapter 18

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to say a few things about before getting into the chapter.

Mental health

I know, I know, you've probably heard them all before, but you've stuck with my nonsense this far, so do it for me.

Parts of this story are influenced on events of my life (trust me, I really wish it were the dragons and vampires).  In writing several parts of this story, a lot of old things were dragged up from my past.  Because of the pandemic and the nature of my work, my mental health was already fracturing and this was why I needed to take a break over Christmas and New Years. 

I am lucky enough to have the support and resources to get treatment and come out of these events relatively healthy and safe.  But there are countless people, whether your country has nationalized healthcare or not, who do not have or do not know how to obtain these resources or the support they need.  

Below I have posted a website of Canada-wide mental health resources.

https://www.ccmhs-ccsms.ca/mental-health-resources-1

  If you need help, please look into some of these or look into what is available in your province/territory/state.  It is never too late, no problem is ever too small.  There is always someone willing to help.

If you do not live in Canada, I beg you to look into resources available, there is always help even if you do not have nationalized health care.  If you are having a hard time finding resources, feel free to message me.  I can help you find a place to start.

If you do not need these resources, I would encourage you to become at least familiar with them.  The best place to start is being understanding and becoming an ally.  

Thank you, and enjoy the chapter.

M.C. Matthews

~

"Penny for your thoughts?"

Rhia jumped a little and looked up at Madeline next to her. Her mother's warm brown eyes and gentle smile had an immediate calming affect on Rhia and she managed to smile back. "Sorry, just zoned out for a second there."

She looked back at the garlic she had been chopping to find that it wasn't so much chopped as it was practically pureed. Madeline took knife and the board. "I could tell." She laughed lightly. "What has you so distracted?"

Rhia glanced down the hall to Richard's den where he, Maddox, and an old family friend, Doctor Ashton Price, were drinking bourbon and watching the pre-game events. "Nothing." She shrugged and turned to the stove. "Work, that's all."

Madeline didn't miss her cautionary glance at the door. Without a word to the men, she walked over and quietly slid the glass French doors closed. "Is this about a guy friend?" she asked carefully.

"Sort of." She sighed. "Yes."

"Alright," Madeline pulled a bottle of wine from the fridge and poured each of them a large glass. "As your mother, I have to ask; are you pregnant?"

Rhia burst out laughing. "No. God no."

But that did bring up something she hadn't thought about. Could vampires get humans pregnant? Despite a majority of the literature, vampires were not the living dead. They had a heartbeat, they needed to breathe, and they could procreate with their own kind. Were their half-blood vampires with humans or other Ancients? Add that to the ever growing list of questions she had for him.