𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐗: Lyra Beats the Grim Reaper

Start from the beginning

"Lyra! Bellamy said you got out with Wells - where is he? Did he stay behind at the dropship with Octavia?"

Clarke.

Stricken, Lyra turns unsteadily to see the blonde staring at her in earnest. Lyra can feel her throat start to close up as she faces the other girl. Because what is she supposed to say? How can she find the words to explain the depravity of what she's done, that she killed her best friend, that she murdered the boy Clarke grew up with, the boy who was her brother?

There are no words at all.

"Clarke. . . " she starts clumsily. Tears well in her eyes. Everything she wants to say sounds wrong. "Clarke, I'm so sorry. They did something to him in Mount Weather, with his bone marrow. And then in the tunnels, he couldn't walk. He knew he wouldn't get out alive. And then he asked me to. . . he asked me too - "

All at once, it seems to hit Clarke.

"Lyra. . . " she begins in an overly-controlled tone. "What did you do?"

"I killed him," Lyra whispers. "I'm sorry. I had no other choice. He asked me too. I'm sorry. I am so, so sorry - "

"You're sorry?" Clarke demands, her expression thunderous as she takes a terrifying step towards Lyra. "You're sorry? How - how could you? Wells was your friend! He trusted you!"

He asked me too, Lyra wails internally, but she can't bring herself to defend herself.

It won't erase the depravity of what she's done.

"Clarke - "

"No. Stay the hell away from me," says the blonde coldly. "We're done. I need you to come to the dropship with me now, to help Lincoln, because I know where my loyalties lie."

Lyra's heart crumples in her chest. She nods shakily.

͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙ ✩ *̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙   .·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙ ✩ *̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙

BELLAMY found her Nasa jacket.

After Mount Weather had hit her with the knock-out gas, they'd stripped her of any unnecessary garments right there in the field. Some Grounder had come by it and taken it, the Nasa bomber jacket finding its way into a prison camp alongside Clarke's watch. When he'd given it to her, Lyra had been so happy that she didn't quite know what to do. Is she supposed to kiss him now? Or are they not there yet? How is she supposed to go about this, actually? She's a little more than clueless.

But, anyways.

Freezing violently engulf the skies as Lyra and Octavia leave the dropship; Lyra and Bellamy had come back with Clarke ages ago, but not much progress has been made since. Clarke's come to the official diagnosis that Lincoln's been drugged due to needle marks in his skin, but since then, not much has happened. Lincoln got loose once, and now Clarke's prepping to take the bullet out of his leg. Octavia shot him.

Lincoln's bloodcurdling screams follow them into the night air.

The stars twinkle coldly, fragments of lavender ice, and they provide the girl no solace as she lets the shadows swallow her. When trying to help Lincoln drink, Octavia narrowly avoided an attack from him, and yet all she'd said was that she needed to get him some more water from the river. Lyra knows it's barbaric to let her friend suffer alone ━━ to allow her to witness the embodiment of her bloodiest dreams and her waking nightmares, to allow her to stand alone as her own lover turns on her. Lyra refuses to let Octavia walk through this horror all by herself and so she followed her into the night.