𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐗: Lyra Beats the Grim Reaper

Start from the beginning

"Lyra," Bellamy's gentle voice breaks through her exhausted isolation. "You did what you had to. You would've died."

"Yeah," she mutters listlessly. "Only now I have to live with that."

Her voice is a mere croak. The first words she's spoken in hours. He twists around at once, fingers clutching at hers like an iron-vice.

"Who we are and who we need to be to survive are very different things," Bellamy says quietly.

*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙ ✩ *̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙   .·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙ ✩ *̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙

CAMP JAHA IS more impressive in person than in the grainy pictures at Mount Weather. More of Alpha Station survived than she would have thought possible or probable. The great metal exoskeleton claws at the dull blue sky, a small field of scorched grass surrounding it. Caging it in are thin wires stretching from pole to pole, digging into the grubby earth, and Bellamy tells her it's electrified. Raven's got a special gate that they can sneak in and out of, and even though Lycra's stomach twists just the teeniest bit, she also thinks, Where would we be without Raven? And the answer ━━ probably dead.

Raven's gate proves to be unnecessary, though. They just walk right through the main gate. There's some sort of speech going on, what looks like Chancellor Jaha and Doctor Abby Griffin being the ones to give it. Lyra's not very concerned with it. She's more than happy to leave the politics to the adults now.

Murmuring a hasty promise to be right back, Bellamy squeezes her hand once, then disappears into the crowd to search for their friends. Lyra starts to make her way around the edge of the crowd. She's scouring the back of people's heads for that familiar tuft of brown hair that belongs to her dad. She doesn't get very far, though, her eyes landing on someone she hasn't seen in a very long time;

"Sinclair!"

Sinclair looks slightly disheveled, curly black hair sticking up near the back and his forearms streaked with grease as if he's been working all day. He probably has been. Camp Jaha certainly didn't pull itself together. But he manages to give Lyra a brief hug, catching her by the shoulders before pulling away.

"Hey, kid, I was wondering when I'd finally get to see you," he says with a smile. "Heard you're ten times the troublemaker down here then you were up there."

"Ten times zero is still zero," she says.

It's weird, seeing Sinclair down here instead of up there, surrounded by trees and grass instead of the stars. But it's a good weird.

"Not that I'm not super excited to see you, but have you seen my dad anywhere?"

He winces. "He went with Kane to meet the Commander."

"What?" Her eyes widen. "But my dad hates Kane. He was always trying to get my him arrested on the Ark."

"Yeah, well, there was this whole thing where Jaha was missing and Kane ended up playing Chancellor," answers Sinclair. "We all thought the Grounders had you kids, and when Kane went to try for peace with the Commander, your dad said, and I quote, Kane's got a nasty habit of fucking everything up. So I'm going with him. And that was that."