Chapter 12

Ophelias POV

   I can't believe Xavier kissed me. As far as I knew he hated my guts and this was just an alliance. That clearly shows that he likes me, doesn't it? Or he was just bored. I don't know what to think. Do I like him? I can't. I promised to always keep my tribe before any love. I need to set boundaries between us. We need to slow down.

We sit in front of the camp fire and it's getting a little chilly. My side is barely leaning against Xavier's. I feel Xavier's arm slowly coming around my waist, then I remember. I quickly stand up and Xavier gives me a confused look. I turn around and walk to where my things are next to a tree. I grab my water and start drinking it to calm myself.

"Hey" I jump as I hear someone say from behind. I ignore him, "Ophelia are you okay?"

"Erm uh yeah" I manage to say and quickly get away. Just as I pass him I feel him grab my arm and pull me back in front of him pressed against a tree. I gasp. "Xavier what-," I say.

"What are you trying to do?" He asks with his stormy eyes trying to read mine.

"Nothing. What are you trying to do? Last time I remember we're on a mission as alliances, you shouldn't be so concerned about me." I say in a harsh tone. He looks surprised and I use this time to get away. Just as I am about to get away AGAIN I am pulled back against the tree and this time Xavier is impossibly close to me.

He smirks, "oh really" he says lowly putting a lock of my hair behind my ear. My stomach erupts in butterflies and I turn red. He continues, "so your telling me I mean nothing, just An alliance."

I am in loss of words, then I catch my breath and straighten up, "Y-Yeah" I manage to say an confidently as I can. I put my hand on his chest pushing him away and he steps back allowing me to leave. What was that?

Xavier's POV
I love her, I can't believe I'm saying this but oh gosh I love her. But I noticed she was trying to avoid me so I had to confront her. She gets shy so easily it's cute.

I know she's trying to force me away, in her mind she thinks she can't love because that would be betraying her tribe, I want to show her that it's not. I mean, I thought the same as her before, I couldn't imagine actually liking a girl, but Ophelia changed that perspective forever.

I let her go for now and I fall asleep.

***next morning***

I wake up to ruffling noises of leaves and notice the sun is barely rising. I get up and see everyone asleep. I look for Ophelia and she's no where to be seen. I panic but notice her in a distance going for a walk. So I quietly go after her.

Ophelias POV

I woke up from an anxiety attack and I had too much on my mind and I thought I would go crazy, so I decided to go for a walk to take my mind off things. Xavier knows what he's doing to me, but I can't let him. I need to step back before it's too la-

Just then I feel a presence behind me. In a swift move I grab my dagger from my side and throw it towards the movement. I turn around and see a shocked Xavier holding the dagger in mid air before it hit him. "Oh my goodness Xavier I didn't know it was you I'm so sorry" I say panicked.

He smirks, "you really are on a mission to kill me," he walks towards me and hands me the dagger.

"Thanks" I say sheepishly. "Why are you up right now?"

"I should be asking you the same thing love" he says smirking.

'Love' why would he say that, now I'm blushing like crazy. "I just couldn't sleep because I..." I don't finish because I was literally about to say 'because I couldn't stop thinking of you' Am I stupid??

"Because you what?" Xavier dares stepping closer.

"Nothing..." I say Turing around to continue walking. And Xavier follows.

I let my curls bounce behind me as I attempt to get away from him. His presence does something to me.

I reach a large tree and go up to it to lean against it. I look over to Xavier, "Are you just gonna keep following me?"

He comes closer, "I'll follow you no matter what, even if it means I'd have to swim across the atlantic ocean." He whispers amused.

I hold my breath as he gets impossibly close. The next thing I know, I feel his warm lips on mine. I want to stop this immediately, but my body won't let me. I feel hypnotized by his touch. He lightly pushes me against the tree and grabs my leg up. I fall hungry for his touch.

We break apart to frantically catch our breath. He grabs my lower waist but I catch my self. "Xavier no-." I step away from him. I wipe my lips with the back of my hand. "We- we can't do this. Me? You? Xavier we are leaders and have tribes who need us!"

"Me kissing you will not harm the tribe." He tries stepping closer, I can see that he's yearning for my lips as he stares at them.

A part of me knows I can't be with him, he's the complete opposite of me. It would never work, we'd be chaos. But a part of me desires him, I want all of him. But he's known to just sleep with women. He doesn't take them seriously, only their bodies. But I don't know for sure.

The last thing I want is to be another one of his side girls who uses for entertainment. What if he's only doing this because I'm the only girl here. Maybe he just craves a girls touch right now. I don't know what to think.

"It brings harm to me." I reply.

"How?"

"I don't do flings Xavier. I want long lasting committed relationships." I pause, hoping for him to say that he wants me for the rest of his life, or anything along those lines. This is the moment to see if he really likes me.

XAVIERS POV

I don't do committed relationships. I don't think I ever will. After seeing my parents marriage, I promised to never. Especially to someone as sweet as Ophelia. I would destroy her. But I want her, I yearn for her touch. But I remember who I am. I am the leader of my tribe, I need to build up some courage.

She stares at me eagerly waiting for a reply. "Ophelia-." I hate my self for this. "I've stared into many eyes, but I only get lost in yours every time." I let out. "But...I don't think I can be with you forever. I don't think so at all..." I can see her heart be shattered into a million pieces.

She looks taken aback, but quickly gathers her self. I can feel my heart drop. "Perfect." She says and smiles through a single tear as she begins to walk away.

"Felia-." I call out to say some last words.

She stops in her tracks. "Don't- don't call me that." She turns to look at me. "Thanks for telling me. I don't think there are anymore words between as anymore. Let's just get this mission over with." And with that, she walks away.

What have I done. I just let a diamond slip through my fingers. But for once I had to not be selfish, for her.

-