Chapter 1

Ryujin POV

"I finally had the courage to ask him out, like you told me to; but..he said he was busy studying for exams..." Lia paused holding back a tear, "but...then I saw him hanging out with another girl at the arcade on my way home."

"Ryujin! are you listening to me?, what should I do?"

Normally I'd give a half smile, nod my head; and throw in a few words just to keep up with the conversation. Trying to hide any tinge of jealousy, but it wasn't an effort to hide; cause she doesn't see it.

Then she would just continue to rant like always.

But today was not like any other normal day, because for the first time, she looked like she was hurt. The tears were flowing, and with the grimace on her face she said

"Do you have any idea how bad it hurts to like someone and not have them like you back."

You have no clue how much I care. How I'd to anything to make you smile. How much it takes in me just to give you a call sometimes

"Nope..not a clue" I answered, as I took out my handkerchief, and help this clueless childhood friend of mine be rid of those bitter tears.

"must be great, to be Shin Ryujin." she laughed dryly, eyes gazing at me.

We stared at each other in silence, while I carefully help her dry until there were no more tear stains left.

Then I dropped my eyes, looked at the time and stood up. Because if we continued, I knew I was going to be the one crying next.

"I should go.." I say to her, breaking the silence.

She nodded. " R-Right, it's late your mom might worry."

Before I could walk out the gate, she shouted "Wait! your handkerchief, let me wash it first, then I'll return it."

"There's no need, besides..you always say that but never actually give any of my handkerchief back." I laughed while arguing back.

She pouted then snatched the piece of cloth from my hand.

We bid our goodbyes, then I left.

I instantly regretted my decision to let her have my handkerchief as the tears finally fell from my eyes.

I've decided to take this unrequited love, and hide it in a corner of my heart. Because sometimes the best way to stay close to someone you love, is by being a friend.

Back at Lia's Room

Lia walked over to her desk where there's a framed picture of her and Ryujin in their elementary years. Then, she pulled a drawer full of Ryujin's handkerchiefs.

"Don't give me that look," Lia glared at the photo of her younger self. "I don't know what I'd do if Ryujin ever found this drawer." She sighed, gazing longingly at the photograph. "There's no way she feels the same way I do..."