II

After saying goodbye to Bucky, as he wanted to get to bed early, Michaela followed after Steve, because she felt she needed to stop him from doing something stupid, whatever that was.

She followed Steve to a medical room and he frowned when he saw her.

"Mick, what are you doing here?" Steve asked.

Michaela shrugged. "I was worried about you."

"Where's Bucky?"

"Wanted to get a good night's rest before his big day."

"So he's not here to prevent you from doing something stupid."

"Nor is he here to prevent you. What are you doing here?"

"Trying to enlist."

A nurse whispered something inaudible to a young doctor.

The young doctor said to Steve, "Wait here."

"Is there a problem?" Steve and Michaela asked.

"Just wait here." He left.

Steve looked at a warning sign against lying on your enlistment and began getting ready to leave, motioning for Michaela to help him.

An Enlistment Office MP walked into the room and Steve looked at him worriedly while Michaela looked on curiously.

Dr. Abraham Erskine entered the room as the Enlistment Office MP quietly left.

Dr. Erskine said to the MP, "Thank you." He turned to Steve. "So, you want to go overseas. Kill some Nazis."

"Excuse me?" Steve asked.

"Dr. Abraham Erskine." He walked over and introduced himself to Steve and Michaela. "I represent the Shield Scientific Reserve."

"Steve Rogers and this is Mick Evans."

Dr. Erskine began looking through Steve's file.

As he did so, Michaela asked, "Where are you from?"

"Queens," Dr. Erskine replied. "73rd Street and Utopia Parkway. Before that, Germany. This troubles you two? Are you from England? Judging from your accent-"

Michaela nodded. "Southampton. This is a little bothersome."

Steve shook his head. "No."

Dr. Erskine flipped through Steve's file. "Where are you from, Mr. Rogers? Mmm? Is it New Haven? Or Paramus? Five exams in five different cities."

"That might not be the right file."

"No, it's not the exams I'm interested in. It's the five tries. But you didn't answer my question. Do you want to kill Nazis?"

"Is this a test?"

"Yes."

"I don't wanna kill anyone. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from. And no man should hurt a lady."

"Well, there are already so many big men fighting this war. Maybe what we need now is the little guy, huh? I can offer you a chance." They left the room. "Only a chance."

"I'll take it."

"Good. So where is the little guy from, actually?"

Steve and Michaela said at the same time, "Brooklyn."

Dr. Erskine stamped Steve's form and handed him back his file. "Congratulations, soldier." He turned to Michaela. "We could always use a medic. Are you up for the task?"

Michaela nodded. "I am."

Steve opened the file and saw that he'd been stamped as accepted.

The new recruit turned to his friend and smiled. "I got in!"