7. Breathe

© AJD 2013 All Rights Reserved

{HelloSorry it took me a while to updateI've been busy getting rich (working minimum wage l o l) and catching up with my long lost lover (sleep) -abi

                                                             - -

S E V E N: Breathe

        "Hello?" Daniel spoke, flinching at the static sounding through the telephone line.

        "Hello?" a familiar voice answered. "Daniel, what is this I'm hearing about you going to a party tonight?"

        Damn it, Carm. "Yeah, mom," Daniel replied, nonchalant. "I'm here right now. I'll be home by morning, alright?"

        "What do you mean by morning? Daniel, your flight is at noon and you haven't even packed yet."

        "Don't worry, ma. It won't take me too long to pack. I promise."

        "Yeah, right. I'm your mother and I sure as hell know your promise isn't worth a thing so you'd better be home by 3AM or I swear, Daniel, I will go to that party and pick you up myself and you will not like it!"

        Daniel tried to hold back his laughter. When his mom scolded and cussed her native tongue was as recognizable as day. "You got it, mom. I'll be home by 3."

        "3AM, Daniel. Not 3 in the afternoon."

        "Yes, ma."

        "Your sister is really looking forward to this, so don't screw it up for her."

        "I know, mom."

        "Daniel, I sw-"

        "Yes, mom! I get it! 3AM. I won't miss the flight! Okay? Bye-" He hung up before she could contradict him.

        They hadn't even stepped foot in the house and Daniel's vibe was already killed. Not only could he not drink because he had to get his car and himself home in one piece but he couldn't even enjoy his last night of freedom before being forced to mingle with family in LA.

        "Ridiculous," Daniel spat as he and Sean made their way across the trash littered yard, towards the house.

        Sean noticed his temper. "Was that about the whole Los Angeles thing?"

        Daniel's brow furrowed, and he turned to look at his friend with his teeth slightly grit. "You knew about this? And you didn't tell me?"

        "I swear I told you about that," Sean spoke over the loud thumping of the bass that pounded through the room.

        "Clearly you didn't," Daniel grinded his teeth some more, "because if you did I would have at least seen this alcohol ban coming."

        Sean followed as Daniel made his way through the crowded house and out onto the patio. "Bro, I told you we could've gotten a ride, but you insisted on bringing your car," he said.

        "I insisted because I had no idea I'd have to leave early to catch an afternoon flight! How do you even forget to tell me about your own girlfriend's birthday bash in Los fuc king Angeles, anyways?" Daniel shook his head at him, eyeing the beers in the cooler behind the pool cabana.