Chapter 12

[Encore]

Whether I want or not, I have to bear with what Daehwa has just told me, with the other inmates as witnesses. I can't believe she's in the same situation as me because she's entangled in a web of lies. Lies that come from the people she's supposed to trust the most, her family.

I don't even think going on with this call is a good idea. On the other hand, as I said before, turning back isn't an option. The game we're all involved in might be dangerous, but we all agreed to start it and can't go back for any reason.

"So, what are you going to do?"

"I was supposed to tell you but you always hung up on me. I've been working on my papers for a while already. I'm going to leave South Korea soon." Is this a joke? Does she know the mess she's getting into? The USA are not the heaven on Earth, she's going to have it hard here, like me. If she's going somewhere else, however, she isn't going to have it any easier.

"Okay. So, you're running away. Like me." I shake my head, disappointed that I didn't realize her intentions before. Even though I'm not fond of her, this doesn't mean that I have to keep resenting her forever. We both need to move on and sort out our issues.

"I don't like the way you're putting it, but, yes, I'm running away." She's basically admitting to not standing the current situation anymore. I can't blame her for that.

"Again, I'm sorry for bothering you. I should've been more considerate. If we meet again by chance, would you like to try and stay in civil terms?" Her offer is interesting, but I need to think about it carefully. I want to make sure her intentions are sincere. I know I'm the last person who should be mistrusting and diffident, but previous circumstances led me to this path.

Rejecting her one more time, however, would be plain cruel. She seems truly sorry for the damage caused; this is enough to give her the benefit of doubt at least.

"I think that's actually a good idea. I hope we can finally sort our issues out. Now, I need to go. I've got a game to finish. See you soon." I pronounce these words forgetting my previous resolution. I was foolish when I said I wanted to end the game early. The truth is, I'm a man of word and this must go on. We're all supposed to ask each other questions.

"See you soon." When the call is over, I eye the other inmates, studying their looks. I don't know if they still trust me. What I know is that I've just got some sense back.

***

"You know, this phone call with that girl really worked, even better than the game itself," says Kasey, eyeing Ashley every once in a while. Before he gets lost in his thoughts, however, he turns his gaze back at me. "You really opened up about your weaknesses. Even though you didn't directly mention them, I think I caught them."

He's right. I thought this would be a simple game like Truth or Dare, where we spill our biggest secrets or take up intricate dares. No, that's something more. It's a journey through feelings. It's a way, for the better or for the worse, to start seeing the world under a different perspective.

This is why I decide to change the rules a little bit even though I'm not exactly supposed to do so.

After all, it's no longer just a game.

***

"Okay, instead of everyone asking each other questions, we'll simply spill the tea," I explain. "I know I shouldn't put it as a mere game anymore, but I'm a man of word and want to finish what I started."

"That's great!" exclaims Lily, happy that things seem to be picking up again and relieved to see me free at least from the tax evasion and Daehwa burdens.

"Sounds good," adds Lee, who finally seems to be comfortable around Anna without having to worry about her possible reaction.

"Good. Who's going to talk now?" asks Amy, impatience clearly showing in the way she taps her fingers on her left knee. I'm sure she has something more to say. Not something hurtful, but something exciting.

This is why I offer her to go next. "Penny for your thoughts? You look like you have more to tell us." I'm right, aren't I?

"Well, this isn't exactly a confession, but more of a hope for the near future. I'm going to finally live my life void of any expectations or pressures." Amy's words are cryptic, to the point that they'd be difficult to understand for anyone who doesn't know her background. Yet, everyone here does. Why can't I exactly catch the meaning of what she's talking about?

"I'm going to cut ties with my parents for good. If they can't accept me as I am, that's their loss, not mine." Good riddance. She doesn't deserve to be surrounded by toxic people. Still, I can't make sense of what she's going to do with Wendy. Is she going to stay with her or move out? She'll have to tell us soon.

Speaking of Wendy, she's not surprised by her roommate's decision. "That's for the best," she comments indeed. "Now, are you still thinking of moving out?"

Amy shakes her head. "I really need to think carefully of my next moves. This is why I'm staying, at least for now." She winks, much to Wendy's confusion, as well as mine. At least, she seems to have understood that she needs to love and value herself better.

As Amy quickly immerses in her own thoughts, Wendy throws an amused glance at her before shaking in turn her head. "Amy... I've learnt about her more in these few hours here than in six months as roommates. We still have a long way to go, I guess," she says.

"Why?" I ask.

"As I told you before, Amy and I are only acquaintances, not friends, at least not yet. This is why we both took for granted that we didn't have to know much about each other. I was so wrong... I mean, this is clearly one of the worst mistakes I've ever made." The fact that she talks about mistakes kind of worries me. Her sense of guilt is preventing her from enjoying the moment. Things with Amy have since cleared, so she should be happy.

She needs one more little push towards the right direction.

"So, if not getting to know much about Amy was one of your worst mistakes, what is your biggest one to date?" Curiosity kills the cat, they say, but, this time, it's justified. Even the other inmates want to know more.

"Okay, people, brace yourselves because you may find it too shocking or too silly." Wendy stifles a laughter, then casually turns to Ashley, who stays still. It turns out the little glaring miss has since disappeared. She might roll her eyes every once in a while, but our scuff did have effect on her, since she hasn't made any more rude remarks towards anyone.

"So, what is it?" asks Kasey, barely retaining himself from sighing. Patience isn't a virtue he, like the rest of us, has anymore.

"Well, my biggest mistake was sending a poorly written tale to a contest when I was ten. Needless to say, it was so embarrassing that I earned last place. My parents weren't really impressed. I thought it was so well-written..." We all laugh at this confession, especially I. I mean, I've made even worse figures in the past.

"Wow. That's insane," I comment indeed. "Well, you had the guts to present something you truly believed in at a contest. I wouldn't have done so, trust me."

The others all laugh behind my back. I don't know if I should take it as diffidence or mere amusement.