"You said you know our father?" I ask holding my arm for support.

"Right yes. I do know Darren" Bernadette says looking at the both of us

"Care to elaborate?" Jacob asks.

"Apparently Dad's checked into rehab and it's because of Bernadette" I say joining the dots

"I met your father a couple of days ago on the streets. He was evicted from your family home"

I look at Jacob, our home we grew up in. I knew one day we would be evicted and declared bankrupt, he refused to pay the bills and I couldn't put money aside because Mum's medication and survival needs took the cake.

"I saw he was drunk so I offered him some assistance. We talked I got to know him and I helped him check himself into rehab."

"He can't afford rehab" I say "Half the time he couldn't even afford his alcohol"

Bernadette looked at me "I payed for it"

"You paid your own money for our father to go to rehab?" Jacob asks

"When he gets better and he gets a job he can pay me back." She smiles as if she knew that he was going to stay in rehab.

"I wouldn't hold your breath" Jacob mutters.

"He's not a nice person" I pipe up "He's done things to us that you couldn't possibly imagine, my mother is dead because of him"

Bernadette flinched "Jayne yes I know about her. I'm sorry to hear about your loss"

She knows my mothers name?

"You're not the first person to try and save him. He doesn't deserve a second chance" Jacob says

"I know of your situation-"

"You have no idea about our situation" Jacob cuts her off. "You have no idea what he has done to me, what he's done to my sister, my mother, our family." Jacob spat. "You've heard what his wanted you to hear."

"I know of the abuse" Bernadette pipes up. "That's a terrible thing for your children to have experienced. I'm helping your dad I'm making him a better person."

"He's broken my collarbone three times" Jacob says pointing at his collarbone. "My arm two times, and he's broke my wrist and neck. His broken my mothers jaw, his broken Amy's rib cage, both wrists and sprained her ankle. He does not deserve a second chance as far as I'm concerned" Jacob says. "You continue to help him but don't expect him to be thankful about it, or for him to even complete rehab, or for him to go around and stay sober and claim you saved his life." Jacob stands up "I know you think there's something inside of him worth salvaging but there isn't. The dad that I knew and loved, the dad that cared he's gone and you can't get him back, we've all tried we've prayed and we've begged."

"You seem like a nice lady Bernadette" he says "So don't let him screw you over. Come on Ames."

I stood up looking at Bernadette's shaken face.
"I believe that people do bad things Amy, I'm not justifying your fathers actions. I'm trying to help him, start a new life alcohol free, make up for his mistakes and so that he can live a good life."