There was no guarantee but one better be safe than be sorry right?

Twenty minutes into the lesson she stood up and bent down to jot down whatever her Geography sir was saying because her legs and her back began hurting.

And one hour in he had still not given a water break or a washroom break and Anuthi was having such a hard time concentrating because her eyelids had given up. Her head started to fall down uncontrollably as her body was yearning for some sleep.

It was then Senuka, a classmate of Anuthi { she went to a mixed school} asked their teacher to give them a break.

"Um... Excuse me, sir? Can we get a five-minute break?"

                                     It was asked very decently and such polite ways were not something that you would see every day.  Especially from a boy. But today was quite different as the majority of the students seemed to have their bladders screaming for a release.
And Anuthi also began to feel like she needed to go to the bathroom, even though she did not have any desire to do so before Senuka brought it up.

" Why Sethuka? "
Mr.Galagedara asked.

"Well, I need to go to the washroom and pee sir, that's why!." Stated Sethuka with no hint of humour in his voice.

                                        But all the students that were there knew he was trying to make a fool out of their teacher.
So they all, including Anuthi laughed in the safety of the muted mics.

But Mr. Galagedara was not buying it.

"Really? Why you didn't go there prior to the lesson then huh?"

"Well, I forgot sir."
Said Sethuka.

"Why can't you kids sit in one place for at least an hour?. You must sit straight for three hours at your exam without leaving the exam hall! You guys aren't kids like you were in your  Ordinary Level classes but grown-ups now! Above eighteen and all that. In some countries, people your age contribute to the labour force and get married and would have had children by that time even!... "

Anuthi knew where this conversation was heading. Therefore she made a mad dash towards the bathroom event though it was quite difficult to walk when you were badly in need of a release.

The other kids were also doing the same, thanking Senuka in their heads as he was the lifesaver for the day.

                                                  And after that, the class went smoothly and as there were no notes to write down from the literal screen apart from the one map they had to take a screenshot of, Anuthi did not even bother to look at the phone screen.
The sound of the notifications was also turned off so even though they kept surfacing the screen it did not bother her.

                                  She was busy writing from her left hand and killing mosquitos from the other. Those miniature vampires were there to annoy her by sucking her lifeblood away and most probably infecting her with "Dengue fever", but at least they kept her liveliness alive during the class as the pain from the mosquito bites somewhat made her feel like she was not half dead yet.

She spent a couple of seconds to highlight a fact that she was writing in her notebook and at that moment a mosquito bit her shoulder making another spot on her skin puff up.

Scratching that area Anuthi ran her palm up and down her arm feeling the spots of puffed up skin that were slowly taking over her exposed arms.

They felt like the skin of a raw bitter gourd or worse like a skin of a deceased frog as she imagined it.

{ A/N ~I included a picture of s bitter gourd if you have forgotten what that is😏 it's been literally ages since I had one. Please tell me if you can see it to make sure}

 Please tell me if you can see it to make sure}

The night was as gloomy as her mood and the noise of the crickets that she used to find really soothing became such a noisy scream that bothered her mind.

Her handwriting became wobbly and unreadable and every passing minute they resembled the handwriting of an Elizabethan poet or the writings on the  "Mirror Wall" in Sigiriya.

{ A/N ~ here is another picture}

Anuthi's head was jacked up by a stack of books and she stared at the note she was writing as despondent as a hungry puppy looking at its empty food bowl.

Her arm was sore from all the scratching she did and the skin was very warm as if she had a fever.

Not a good thing to feel when that is one of the main symptoms of the ongoing pandemic!

"Okay. So let's stop there kids. I'll send the maps to the WhatsApp group for..."

Anuthi clicked away from the group as fast as she could, went to the bathroom once again and jumped into the welcoming embrace of her comfy bedsheets.

She went straight into the world of slumber as soon as her head hit the pillow. And in a matter of minutes, she was in for a dreamless night as she was both physically and emotionally strained enough for the day. So an embrace from the death's second self was what she needed.

If somebody saw her sleeping figure they would not guess that she was almost in tears three hours ago because of some ill information that she learnt.

And the person who was the reason that made her almost cry was also sleeping after stuffing himself up with some mouth-watering chicken fried rice.

Deaths second self is a metaphor for sleeping. Because you don't know what is happening around you when you are asleep. It's in the Shakespearian sonnet "Sonnet 73"

"Which by and by black night doth take away.
Deaths second self that seals up all in rest."

😇

And speaking of metaphors what are the techniques that you can find in this chapter?
😁😁😁

<1559 words>
{390 word rant}

Dini Kal ~ Oops sorry guys there is nothing much happening here in this chapter.
🙄😔😔😔😔😔😞

Samavenna 😢

But I feel like this chapter shed some light on Anuthi's character and the contrast between the way how she treats Geo and Econ. { she refused to leave her bed in the morning for Econ and slept in the class that was very engaging. But her Geo class was boring AF but she still decided to take part in it in the middle of the night with mosquitos biting her!

🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃
<1786>