XXVIII - In Cahoots

May drove us over to Liz's, talking about how excited she was for the two of us all the way over.

Peter and I exited the car and made up the porch stairs. He rung the doorbell.

The door to the house swung inwards. But it wasn't Liz who answered.

"You must be Peter," said the man at the door, a smile crossing his lips, but I wouldn't describe it as kind. "And Eve: the Angel of New York."

I didn't like the way he said my title. I smiled awkwardly and looked at Peter who had turned rather pale.

"I'm Liz's father. Come on in," the man said.

"What's wrong?" I mouthed to Peter when the man's back was turned.

Peter shook his head with a clenched jaw, continuing further into the house.

"Hi, Peter, Eve," said a woman who I assumed to be Liz's mother.

Peter jumped up slightly.

"The rest of the kids are all in there," she said, gesturing to the living room. "Dinner will be served shortly and we're gonna do group pictures beforehand."

"Thank you," I said with a forced smile, dragging Peter away with me.

I stopped before we had reached the living room but were out of earshot of the kitchen. "Who is that guy and why does he have you so spooked?" I asked quietly.

"Eve, he's the guy doing the illegal weapons dealing with the alien tech from the Battle of New York. He's the guy who attacked me in the metal bird suit on the Staten Island Ferry."

My heart sank. "He . . . no, that can't be right."

"Hey, Peter, Eve!" someone called from the living room.

"Hey guys!" I put a smile back on and went to join the others on the couch.

"You look so good!" Liz called.

Dinner was had and pictures were taken. Eventually, the lot of us loaded up in various cars to drive to the school.

To our misfortune, Peter and I ended up having to ride with Liz's dad. Liz took the passenger seat and Peter and I sat in the back.

"So, Eve," Liz's dad began, cutting through the silence. "What's it like being the 'Angel of New York?'"

"Dad," Liz protested. "You'll have to excuse him," Liz said. "He's got this thing with airplanes and birds, flight mechanics. Likes to design stuff in his free time."

I swallowed and looked to Peter whose hands were tightly clasped around each other.

"Yeah, no, it's okay," I began. "Sometimes it's hard being recognized."

Liz's dad nodded. "And what about you, Peter?" he started. "Got any plans for after school?"

"Dad, don't grill them," Liz whispered.

"Oh, uh I don't know," Peter said. "I'm just a sophomore."

"Peter has an Internship with Tony Stark," Liz spoke up. "They both do."

"Really? Stark?" Liz' dad said. "What do you do?"

"Oh, uh, I don't do that anymore?" Peter said nervously.

"Really, why not?" Liz said. "You got to hang out with Spider-Man."

My heart rate picked up.

"Spider-Man?" Liz' dad asked. "What's he like?"

"Yeah h-he's nice," Peter stumbled. "Nice guy, solid dude."

"I've seen you around," Liz's dad began, looking in the rear view mirror to Peter.

My stomach dropped.

"I mean somewhere, we've uh, have we ever..? Even the voice—"

"We did the Academic Decathlon with Liz," I spoke up.

The man hummed in response, seemingly unsatisfied with my answer. "It's terrible what happened in D.C., though," said Liz' dad. "Were you scared? You know, in that elevator? Bet you weren't, Eve . . . You're used to it . . ."

I gulped.

"I'm sure you were glad when your old pal Spider-Man showed up." The man's eyes appeared in the rear view mirror.

Peter barely nodded. "Well, I actually didn't go up; I saw it all from the ground. Very lucky that he was there that day."

"Good old Spider-Man . . ." the man's voice trailed off in a sinister fashion.

"Alright!" Liz's dad spoke up suddenly as we pulled up to the front of the school, causing me to jump.

"Thanks, dad!" Liz left the car quickly, running up the stairs to some girls waiting outside.

I moved to open my door. Peter did the same.

"Now, hold on a minute," Liz's father spoke up.

I had to try and keep my hand from shaking.

"Does Liz know?" he said simply.

"Know what?" Peter asked.

"So she doesn't. Good," the man responded. "Close to the chest, I admire that. I've got a few secrets of my own . . . Peter, Eve, nothing is more important than family. You saved my daughter's life so I'm going to give you one chance, are you ready? You can walk through those doors and forget any of this ever happened, but don't you ever, ever, interfere with my business again."

I went to speak up to protest.

"I know damn well you're in cahoots, Birdie."

My fist tightened dangerously.

"If either one of you comes near my business again, I'll kill you, and everybody you love. I'll kill you dead. That's what I'll do to protect my family. You understand?" the man finished.

My jaw was clenched in anger as I nodded.

"Hey. I just saved your lives. Now, what do you say?"

"Thank you," Peter mumbled, keeping his eyes down.

The man turned to me, waiting for my response. I didn't give him one.

"You're welcome," he said at last. "Now you go in there and have some fun, okay?"

I opened the door to the car and slid out, grabbing Peter's hand in my trembling one, and walked up the stairs into the dance.

"C'mon," Peter said firmly, pulling me across the gym and out the door on the far side letting out into the hallway.

"What? What're we doing, Peter?" I asked.

"Not letting him win."