IX - Warren

After a night of well deserved rest, I woke up in the strangely quiet school. My school had been cancelled, of course. I had no idea how my classmates were reacting to me being all over the news.

The mutant students were beginning to arrive at Charles' school today and throughout the night because of the different time zones.

I was determined to stay awake to greet and help but I was still exhausted.

The hallways began to fill with exhausted students. I helped them to their rooms, carried bags, as well as received awestricken looks from those who recognized me from the news.

Even among mutants I felt like and outsider.

Then, I saw him. It was another mutant so similar to me, yet my opposite, that I was scared.

The teen was blond and his feathered wings were white, the opposite of me.

He arrived in the dead of night as if he had snuck out.

Charles said his name was Warren. He was from New York and exiled by his adopted father who was a respected representative of an anti-mutant movement.

There was a pull in the back of my mind that made me feel as if we were related. He looked so similar to me I was sure we had to be related somehow.

I had to investigate, though Charles advised me not to press.

But from across the room, Warren seemed intrigued by the sight of me.

I walked over to him and helped him with his bags casually.

The lobby had grown oddly quiet even with the amount of students packed in here. Probably because they were all too tired to talk with excitement.

Once Warren and his roommate were settled in upstairs, I decided to introduce myself.

"Eve," I said, extending a hand.

"Warren," he answered, shaking it.

"Out of curiosity," I began, "when's your birthday?"

"May 23, 2001," Warren answered casually. Well, at least he wasn't making it weird as it was.

"That's actually my birthday," I said, a pit of nervousness and excitement building in my stomach.

"Ha, weird," commented Warren's roommate, looking up from his phone. "Maybe you're like, twinsies." He went back to texting.

I've always hated the word "twinsies" but nevertheless I looked up at blonde angel knowingly. He looked a bit pale.

"Can we, uh, take this chat outside?" asked Warren.

***

Warren followed me down the stairs and onto the grounds. The distant sky was beginning to a light violet as the stars disappeared. More of our individual family stories were revealed as the sun rose up from behind the trees to start the new day. 

"So, do you really think we could be twins?" asked Warren.

He had this strange glint in his eyes like he already knew the answer and just needed confirmation.

I crossed my arms shifted my weight nervously. "Yes."

I was suddenly engulfed by Warren's arms. He hugged me tightly, wings and all. I returned the favor.

We probably looked like a yin yang symbol the way our opposite colored wings intertwined.

I pulled away, smiling. "Want to go to the roof?" I asked. "We're some of the few that can get up there."

Warren pondered the idea then nodded.

We took flight.

We got a bird's eye view of some of the mutants arriving. Some noticed us and pointed. Some grabbed at others arms to look up as well.

Warren's white wings were the most noticeable thing against the dark sky. His wingspan was slightly wider than mine as he was a few inches taller than me.

We landed on the roof gently.

"I've always wanted real family," said Warren, taking a seat in the edge of the building. I followed suit. "Not just my adoptive parents . . . but they didn't really like me that much either after my wings grew in."

"Grew in?" I asked. Warren nodded. "I thought I've always had mine," I said, twirling a piece of my hair. "Maybe I wasn't born with them either like I thought . . . I really can't remember."

"When I was five or so, and my wings had just grown in," my brother began. 

God, it was weird to say brother. 

His face fell and his eyes adopted a glossy look. 

I realized this was not going to be a pleasant story.

"I tried to cut them off . . . with my adoptive dad's pocket knife, but uh, they just kept growing back."

Wanting to change the subject, I decided to tell Warren everything that happened today, most of which he recalled from the news. I told him about my new position with the Avengers. Warren seemed impressed and excited, yet sad that I would be leaving the school and him behind.

It seemed strange how fast my brother and I rekindled after spending our whole lives apart.

I had to tell Charles, though I wasn't sure he'd believe me.

I grabbed Warren's hand as we watched the sunrise.

"You have to meet Charles," I said to Warren. "He's the head professor here but he's also like an older brother or father to me," I explained. "He's my guardian."

"Lead the way," said Warren.

I jumped off the roof, letting myself fall, my wings catching on the air just before I reached the ground. I had practiced this stunt many times and it scared the living daylights out of Charles. That's why it was my favorite trick.

Once Warren and I were safely on the ground, we walked into Charles' office where he sat reading over various student files.

He looked up. "Evelyn, do you need something?" Charles was in his busy-mindset and hated being bothered.

"No, but this is really important," I explained quickly. "I have a twin brother."

"What?" asked Charles. I wasn't sure if he was in disbelief or he just hadn't understood me.

"This," I began, grabbing Warren's arm and pulling him further into the room. He curled his wings inwards awkwardly like how I do when I'm nervous. "is my twin brother, Warren. Same birthday, same adoption story—"

"Are you certain?" asked Charles, stopping me. "I mean this is a big deal if it is tr—"

"I'm certain it's true," I stated confidently.

Charles let out a long sigh and looked between Warren and I, searching for similarities. I knew Charles was also searching Warren's mind. Finally he said, "I trust you, Eve."

Charles extended a hand across his desk. "Warren, it is my honor to welcome you to the school and also to the family," he said.

Warren grinned and shook Charles' hand kindly.

Charles wheeled his chair out from behind his desk and motioned for a hug from us.

We accepted and created a feathery group hug.

Our family was small and far from traditional and though this may sound cliché, the love was there and that's all that mattered.