Chapter 28: Birthday gifts

*~*~* January, Cassandra's birthday *~*~*

"I believe that you made a wish Milady," Varian said to Cassandra over his shoulder who had her arms wrapped loosely around his waist, "And I am going to deliver, although Rapunzel did ask that we come in time to celebrate,"

Cassandra laughed, "Alright. You ok?" This was the first time that Varian had rode out this far since his injury,

"Yeah," he answered and dismounted Shadow. He held his hand out to Cassandra when he was on the ground. She bit her lip and smiled as Varian led her into the shrubbery. When they arrived at the other side, Varian whispered, "Right on time." Cassandra gawked at the view.

Her words from a month ago echoed in her head, I'll have to see that sunset at some point, it would be even more beautiful, that's exactly what Varian was showing her. The sinking sun cast a golden glow over everything, turning orange as it continued its descent. The light glittered on her opal and Cassandrium necklace and on Varian's Varium broch. "It's...it's..." Cassandra couldn't find the right word,

"I know." Varian perched on the edge of the cliff, dangling his legs over the side. Cassandra sat beside him, leaning her head on his shoulder. Varian took a deep breath, "Are you sure that this is what you want?"

Cassandra looked into his eyes, "Absolutely." She took Varian's hand again and squeezed his fingers. "I did the best I could, but I can't ignore it anymore, what I feel inside my heart, time to set it free,"

Varian took her other hand and started singing too, "You pulled me along and though I was scared it felt right,"

Cassandra: "Sometimes I tried to jump that great divide, but I never took the chances I was given,"
Varian: "I took one step, now I'll never turn back,"
Cassandra: "For so long, I turned a blind eye. Well, I'm not being patient anymore,"
Varian: "With each passing day, we're moving further into the light,"
Cassandra: "I'm crossing the line, and I'm done holding back. So look out, clear the track it's our turn,"
Varian: "Then you'll see I'll give my heart and give my soul until I give you everything,"
Cassandra: "We're taking it all, every drop, every smidge. If we're burning a bridge, let it burn."

Varian leaned across and cradled Cassandra's cheek in his hand. He whispered, "You gave me everything to lose."

She bent forwards and the tip of her nose brushed against his, "I'm crossing the line."

They kissed under the glow of the twilight, the sun behind them outlining their silhouettes in orange. Cassandra was still trying to regain her breath when they were leaving an hour later, the first stars appearing in the night sky. Something caught her attention out of the corner of her eye – it was something on the side of a tree, partially covered by moss. She cleared it away and found something underneath, it was a heart carved into the bark with two letters inside it – Q + R. "Varian?" she called over her shoulder and felt him stand beside her, "What's this?"

Varian choked on a laugh, "Dad and Mom's initials. Quirin and Rose."

Cassandra smiled then thought of an idea. She pulled a dagger from her belt and cleared away the moss underneath the heart.

"What are you doing?" Varian asked but Cassandra said nothing.

When she was done, she pulled back and they both surveyed her handiwork. Cassandra looped her arm through Varian's, they smiled at each other and walked away. A new heart now rested beneath Varian's parents'. This one with C + V scratched inside.

*~*~*

It was late at night when they walked hand-in-hand back to their rooms. Cassandra had emphasised to Rapunzel if she felt like she absolutely had to throw a party for the swordswoman's birthday then keep it small and don't go crazy. Thankfully, her best friend had stuck to her requests but that didn't mean she had been scarce on the details. The Princess had decorated the private sitting room with help from her husband and baked a cake with Lance in the Castle kitchens, requesting other foods and treats to be made by the kitchen staff and Attila and Monty. The guest list had been short but sweet: Varian (of course), Rapunzel, Eugene, Lance, Kiera, Catalina, Pascal, Ruddiger, Fidella, Max, Pete, Stan, her Dad and Quirin. Queen Arianna had popped in at some point earlier in the evening to give Cassandra happy birthday wishes too. There had been gifts from all of them – including the Queen – and also King Edmund, Xavier, Monty and the pub thugs.

Occasionally, Varian kept running his thumb over the back of Cassandra's hand and from time to time she squeezed his hand. They exchanged sleepy comments about the evening from the deliciousness of the cake to amusing observations about the guests.

     Cassandra didn't realise when they were coming close to their rooms. Didn't even realise her head had dropped onto Varian's shoulder or that her eyes were slightly droopy as he carried on talking about Pete and Stan's argument over turning up in the same boots.

     Suddenly she was jostled from her tranquil state by Varian lifting his shoulder. "Hey. Cassie."

     "Hmm?" She looked up at him but didn't move her head.

     Varian grinned softly at her, "Don't be falling asleep on me, we're nearly there."

     "Sorry, sorry," Cassandra snapped her head up with no small annoyance at having to jerk away from her super snuggly momentary pillow.

     "How can you even fall asleep whilst walking?" Varian asked.

     "Just..." Cassandra started then her face flamed red and she mumbled something incoherently.

     "Huh? What was that?" Varian leaned in closer.

     If it was possible, Cassandra's cheeks turned an even darker pink and she made a facial expression that she would deny was a pout. "...You'reshoulderwasreallycomfy."

     Furiously swallowing down his laughter at Cassandra's face and statement, Varian simply shrugged and said: "A compliment I've never received before but I'm flattered all the same."

     "Yeah, yeah. Haha. Goodnight," Cassandra said, ducking her head and slipping her hand from Varian's.

     The alchemist simply grabbed it again and turned her around the face him. Varian reached out to cup her cheek, letting a finger stroke through her soft, raven curls. Leaning into his touch, Cassandra sighed and closed her eyes - her embarrassed flush quickly fading away. They both looked deep into the other's eyes when she opened them, each of their eyes drinking in gentle blue and tender hazel. Varian bent his head down until his nose was brushing Cassandra's, "Sweet dreams Cassie," he whispered against her lips before pressing his own against hers.

     The swordswoman stood with her lips parted for a moment, deciding whether to speak before whispering, "I don't want this night to end."

"Me neither," Varian murmured.

     With more self-aware furled hesitation this time, Cassandra returned her head to Varian's shoulder, resting her forehead in the crook of his neck. She easily relaxed into him though, Varian wrapping both arms around her waist.

     "Hey Cassie?"

     "Hmm?"

     "Do you want to stay in my room so I can be your human pillow?"

     Demanitus, did she love this man.

     Varian barely had time to process Cassandra  all but running into her bedroom to grab her nightclothes before she was dragging him by the wrist into his own room next door, closing the door firmly behind them.

[~Author's notes~]
I still can't believe this story is almost over, see you in the next one!