Chapter 5: Catching up

Warnings: mentions of suspected infertility

-- One week later --

     Cassandra had been exploring Corona City for the past week, familiarising herself with the quaint Kingdom capital. One of her friends was always there to accompany her on her wanders through the streets. Out on her walks it was either her telling stories of her travels to her friends or them telling her stories about the people of Corona from the past five years and showing her new areas of the City. Many people she recognised, Feldspar the cobbler, Xavier the blacksmith and Attila and Monty the bakery and sweetshop owners. It was the confectionary makers and the blacksmith that called out to her, "Welcome home Cassandra!" Cassandra didn't feel like she deserved any of their kindness – especially when there were others in the City that were trying to give her subtle glares behind either the Princess', the Captain's or the Royal Alchemist's back and whispers seemed to follow her wherever she went. She knew it wouldn't be so easy for the citizens to forgive and forget like her friends but as long as they weren't being openly hostile she would strive to ignore it – however she feared that as soon as one of her friends wasn't by her side that would rapidly become the case.

     When out early in the week with Rapunzel, Cassandra noticed her friend becoming quieter after around two hours. "Raps are you ok?" she whispered after taking Rapunzel's arm and dragging her over to one side,

     "Uh y-yeah! Don't worry about it," Rapunzel shrugged. Cassandra just raised an eyebrow at her. The Princess sighed, "Alright," she caved, "My head's throbbing and I'm starting to feel a little nauseous." Without saying a word, Cassandra linked their arms casually and began strolling back to the Castle. "Cass, what are you doing?" Rapunzel mumbled,

     "Taking you back home before you over do it so you don't come close to passing out again," Cassandra answered in an equally low voice,

     "But-"

     "I seriously don't mind going back Raps," Cassandra looked over at her and squeezed her arm. Rapunzel hesitated but gave a submissive nod.

     The two women walked back through the City and the Castle in silence, both of them focusing on getting back to Rapunzel's room. Cassandra refrained from saying anything as they walked through the corridors knowing that her friend wanted to keep this current situation secret but couldn't stop herself from snapping once Rapunzel's door was closed behind them, "Seriously Raps, if this illness gets any worse I won't need to tell Eugene because he'll figure out something's wrong for himself."

     "But if it turns out to be absolutely nothing he'll have worried for no reason," Rapunzel argued, "I've got plans to see the Royal Medic next weekend alright?"

      Cassandra sighed, "Fine."

     Rapunzel smiled at her, "I'll get Faith to send for some tea," she said, popping her head out of the door and spying the young woman at the end of the corridor.

     Cassandra sat down in one of the armchairs before the fireplace, "Is she your lady-in-waiting now?" she asked once Rapunzel stepped back into the room,

     "Umm," Rapunzel took a seat on the couch, "Not officially, I never actually appointed another lady-in-waiting after you left but she's there whenever I need her."

     Something caught Cassandra's eye over Rapunzel's shoulder, the mural to the left of her window that depicted her adventure escaping the tower but there was a new addition since the last time she saw it. It used to be a painting of Rapunzel's crown that hung over the rest of the mural but now something new sat on top of it, Rapunzel in a veil kissing Eugene, branches and leaves shaping a heart behind them. "Is that your wedding dress?" Cassandra asked,