Chapter 2

The gang flew away from the ship as fast as they could, not sparing a glance over their shoulders. Once they were sure they were far enough, they let out a collective sigh. "What.. The hell.. Was THAT!?" Snotlout shouted. Hiccup winced, and patted Toothless' nose. "I don't know gang, but we should never have landed on that ship. Ameraeli is the most violent, ruthless island in the whole archipelago." He said. Fishlegs piped up "Astrid, you knew her name. Who was that?" He asked. She looked ahead, nervousness evident in her eyes. "That was (Y/N). She's the strongest, most dangerous viking on that island. I'm surprised she even let us get away." She said. Hiccup shook his head. "Gods.. I can't believe we had a run in with them." Hiccup said. Tuffnut laughed nervously. "But, we're never gonna have another one again, right? If they're the most dangerous island out there, we should just steer clear." He said. "Not exactly, Tuffnut.", Hiccup said. "I don't know what they're doing out here. They've never appeared in our area. I thought it was just a normal trapper ship. But they aren't even dragon trappers. They're dragon KILLERS. Much like the other islands, they aren't very fond of the whole 'Dragons aren't blood thirsty killers' mindset. Thor only knows what they've come here for." He finished. Astrid sighed. "Wait, so.. we have to go back?!" Ruffnut exclaimed, groaning. Hiccup nodded. Astrid looked at Hiccup. "Well.." She said, looking down to Stormfly. "He has a point. They're still a threat, and obviously don't mean well, being that close to Berk. We have to stop them." She said. Hiccup smiled softly at the blonde. He felt something swell up in his chest as her hair flowed in the wind, his feelings bubbling up his throat. He looked away, his eyes landing on Berk in the distance. "We've almost reached Berk, just a bit longer." He said eagerly, trying to lift the mood. His exclamation was met with sighs of relief. "I can't want to just sleep when I get home. Poor Meatlug is so tired." FIshlegs said, looking down with a sad look on his face at Meatlug. The gang shared some mindless chatter as they finally reached Berk. Everyone went to the Great Hall to eat, but Hiccup, and unbeknownst to him, Astrid, who trailed quietly behind him. He stalked towards the forge, hoping to speak with Gobber. After a while, Hiccup spoke up. "Y'know, you don't have to be so quiet." He said. Astrid smiled, and caught up to him. "Ah, I guess I'm not as sneaky as I used to be." She said. HIccup laughed lightly. They walked in silence, his stomach tying in knots, and his chest growing tight in Astrid's presence. He cleared his throat to break the silence, as they reached the forge. "Hey Gobber." He shouted. He heard the clutter of tools and saddles as Gobber tripped his way over. "Welcome back Hiccup! Oh, and Astrid." He said, his eyes landing on the blonde, who gave a wave in return. "What can I do for ya, chief?" He asked. Hiccup shrugged. "I guess I just needed to sort of.. talk? We ran into a ship today, but it wasn't like any ship. These weren't dragon trappers." He said. Gobber raised an eyebrow, although his back turned to the pair, and Hiccup took his silence as a means to continue. "This was an Ameraeli ship." He said. Gobber dropped his tools, and spun to face Hiccup. "What were you's doing so far out??" He asked in a panic. "That's the thing," He began. "They were by us. We were looking for trappers, when we found their ship. We should have left, as soon as we saw how empty it was." He said, his head falling into his hands. Gobber grabbed Hiccup by the shoulders. "If they were this far out, this far away from their island, that can't be good." He said. Hiccup hummed in agreement. "We're gonna go back tomorrow. See if we can find them, talk to them-" "Talk to them!?" Astrid and Gobber shouted in unison. Astrid punched Hiccup in the arm and he groaned in pain. "Are you insane!?" She shouted. Hiccup made an expression, as if to state he didn't understand, and Gobber scoffed. "There is no talking to Ameraeli vikings Hiccup. They're bloodthirsty beasts. You wouldn't even be able to step foot in their village without being torn to shreds." Eret piped up all of a sudden. "Woah, where did you come from?" Hiccup asked, startled. "I heard talk of Ameraeli. When I was a trapper, even Drago wouldn't go near their parts. Nobody's even seen the island." He said, leaning against a post. Hiccup grimaced. "If I talked some sense into Dagur, I can talk some sense into... whats-her-face... (Y/N)." He said. Eret's face dropped, before he began to laugh. Hiccup and Astrid glanced at each other. "Oh.." Eret said. "You.. you're serious? Wait, you're telling me.." He trailed off. "(Y/N) was on the ship." Astrid finished. Eret tried to spit out a sentence. "How did you guy's manage to get off the ship?" He asked quietly, amazed. The two shrugged. "It was weird.." Hiccup said. "I didn't see her once after the fighting broke out." "I saw her. She was sitting on the rail. kicking her feet back and forth, like a child." Astrid said, gripping her ax in anger. "She.. She just sat there?" He said, in disbelief. They nodded. Eret scoffed, before a look of realization crossed his face, and he looked at Hiccup. "It's you." He said. Gobber and Astrid looked at him in confusion. "Uh.. What?" He asked. "It's you she wants. Or, more specifically, your Night Fury. I just know it. You guys are doomed." He said, pushing himself off the beam. "Wait, what? Eret, elaborate, what are you talking about?" Astrid said, Hiccup nodding. "She wants your Night Fury, Hiccup. She knows damn well it's the last one. She thrives off the hunt, and she'll tease you, taunt you, manipulate you.. all of it, it gives her this.. rush. She doesn't stop until she get's what she wants. Which means she's not gonna stop until she sees you again, Hiccup, and takes that Night Fury from you." He said. Hiccup faintly shook his head, not quite understanding. Toothless cooed from beside Hiccup, pressing his snout into his hand. "She did have a weird fascination with him.. She didn't really do anything, she just kind of talked a lot." He said, patting Toothless. "She knew exactly the spot to scratch the dragons too, to put them asleep." Eret glanced at Hiccup. "Well, you need to have information on dragons to kill them." He said, shrugging. "I guess.. But it bothers me. How much does she know?" He inquired. "Don't be fooled by her Hiccup. She knows more than she lets on. She's smarter, and stronger, than she looks." Eret responded. "Then why didn't she attack us? The most she did was grab Hiccup's face all roughly, grab my chin, step gently on Toothless' nose, and scratch the dragons to put them asleep. She could have taken us on all by herself, but she didn't." Astrid said, frustrated. Eret shrugged. "I don't know. She's unpredictable, but she always has a reason. If you's plan on going out there again, you'd better have a plan, a backup plan, and a backup plan in case your original backup plan fails." He said. Hiccup groaned. Astrid put a comforting hand on his shoulder, and he smiled gratefully at her. "We're gonna go back tomorrow. I'll have lots of time to think something up." He said, removing himself from Astrid's touch. "Gods be with you, Hiccup, and with all your riders. She's madder than anyone you've ever faced." Eret said. Gobber looked at the two with sympathy as they left. Once they were out of earshot, Gobber chuckled sadly. "Do you think he'll ever make a move?" He asked, trying to lighten the subject. Eret smiled. "My bets are on Astrid making the first move. He'll never have the courage to do it." He replied. Gobber let out a hearty laugh.

The next day, the young adults had breakfast together at the Great Hall. It was silent for the most part, aside from the loud banter and fights of the surrounding vikings. Hiccup cleared his throat. "We're going back today." "WHAT?" The group shouted in unison, minus Astrid. Hiccup flinched, dropping his spoon into his bowl, and he sighed. "I want to talk to her. I really think I could change her mind." He said. "You're insane Hiccup." Ruffnut. "Yea. For once, I agree with my sister." He said crossing his arms. Snotlout scoffed. "Wow, there's your proof this is a terrible idea if you really needed any, you've made the twins agree on something." He said, crossing his arms. "I don't care. We need to go back. We'd have to face them eventually, we can't just wait for them to invade us." He said. The air was thick, and silent, before FIshlegs spoke quietly. "He does have a point.." He said. The group nodded tiredly. "When do we leave?" Astrid asked. Hiccup was silent for a few moments. "Now." He decided, getting up. The group instinctively rose with him. "What?" Snotlout exclaimed. Hiccup, with his back still turned as he walked away, explained. "We should try to stay ahead of them. I doubt they'll expect us to come back the next day, especially not so early. Let's go." He said. They all looked at each other, before following. The group got their dragons ready, and they took off, flying in the direction they found the boat. "So, you definitely have a better plan than just talking to her, right?" Snotlout asked hopefully. Hiccup shook his head. "No, I'm going to talk to her." He said. Astrid scoffed. "After what you heard from Eret, you still think just 'talking' to her will change her mind? After Eret said that she's literally insane? And that we're DOOMED?" She said, growing angrier by the second. "Woah woah woah, what about being doomed?" Fishlegs interjected. "Nothing! Nothing, Fishlegs, don't worry, I can handle this." Hiccup said. On their way to the location of the boat, they saw a tall mass of land. "Alright gang, lets rest for a bit." Hiccup said, guiding Toothless to the mass, the others following. They swiftly landed on the ground, and climbed off their dragons. "It looks like there's a cave nearby we can rest in for a while, let's go." He said, leading the group over. Once they reached the cave, they searched for any threats. There was nobody in there, however they did stumble across a Hobgobbler, which sent Fishlegs into a frenzy of their bad luck, after hearing Gobber ramble on about their 'Bad omens'. Eventually, everyone managed to settle. Hiccup stood up, "I'm gonna go for a walk. I'll be back. Everyone, stay here." He said. Toothless got up to follow him. The two walked for a few minutes, Toothless making some strange noise at nature every now and then, before he saw him run off to chase a butterfly, and Hiccup laughed lightly at his friend. He continued walking. After a few minutes, he heard a second pair of footsteps. Human footsteps. A small smile formed on his face, before he stopped in his tracks. "Astrid, I told you to stay back." He said lightly, turning around. He gasped and fell back on his butt when he was faced with the (H/C) viking from the boat. She had a maniacal grin on her face, and her hands clasped behind her back, as she stared at Hiccup. She crouched down and got right in his face. "Hiya, Hiccup. Fancy seeing you here." She said, her breath fanning hot against his face. He tried to scurry backwards, and felt for his weapon, but his face fell when it wasn't there. "Looking for this?" She asked, pulling out the lit sword from behind her back. Hiccup cursed under his breath, and shouted for Toothless. She giggled as she rose, and hushed, bringing a finger to her lip. "You'll wake him." She said with a small pout. Hiccup furrowed his eyebrows, before the anger was evident on his face. "If you touched my dragon, I swear I-" "You'll what?" She spat, interrupting him. She simply stared down at him. He couldn't think of an answer. She blew a raspberry at him. "For chief, you sure don't talk a lot. No wonder Berk's population is so low, nobody wants to stay there. You're no fun." She said, pushing herself up from the ground. He scoffed. "And Ameraeli is so much better, right?" He asked. She tilted her head, and sighed. "I wouldn't really know to be honest, but I'm not here to share my sob story." She said, walking away. "Hey! Where are you going?" He asked, pushing himself off the ground. She didn't answer. He jogged after her, grabbing her shoulder and spinning her around. When her eyes met his, she saw her reflection in his eyes. His pupils were wide, and his eyes a bright shade of green, his emotions swirling so fast she wouldn't have been able to understand what he was feeling if it weren't for his tense posture. She smiled lightly, and leaned in. "Wouldn't you like to know?" She asked.