Chapter 19

I was at the hospital waiting in the waiting room. Ross dropped me off so he could finish packing our stuff. We had to leave as soon as I say my goodbyes to my father. The doctor's are saying they'll end the life support for dad. They said it's very unlikely for him to survive this gunshot. They didn't even ask me! They just went with it! Who does that?! Great. No mom and now no dad, can my life be more terrible than it already is?
"Ms. Marano?" the doctor calls me name.
I walk over to him.
"How's my dad?" I ask him with worry in my voice.
"He's not doing so well. We already took down the life support, you should probably say your goodbyes before it's too late" he informs me.
I nod. "Thank you doctor" I walk in daddy's room.
I see him laying in bed with the nurses taking all of the wires connected to machines off of dad. I guess they're ready for the worse, and I think he is too. He's awake just staring up to the ceiling. The nurses walk off and I walk forward to dad.
"Daddy?"
He looks at me and slowly sits up on his bed. He puts a weak smile on his face but I can see right through him. He's scared. I walk over to him and hold his hand.
"I don't want you to leave. Not yet anyways" I admit to him.
"I know you do. I don't want to leave you but I have no choice. I know Ross is gonna protect you just fine"
"But what did you do? Why are their people targeting us daddy?" I ask him.
"I did bad things, I'm sorry I pulled you into this. I never planned for this to happen, especially not for you to get dragged into this. I'm very sorry"
"Well you can make it up to me by not dying" I plead.
He just gives me a small smile.
"I wish I could, I'm sorry I can't make my favourite girl happy"
"Dad please don't go"
"I love you. I always have and I always will" he tells me.
"Bu--"
"I want you to go to Jacob and he'll give you everything that you want to know. He'll answer all of your questions" he began to breathe heavily.
"Daddy? Dad!" I shout.
He began breathing heavier and heavier, his eyes were fluttering. He was about to die.
"I... I love you Laura and.... I always will. I'm sorry" he breathes out.
That was the last moment I'd ever had with my father.

. . .

I was waiting outside sitting on a bench for Ross. The doctor shooed me off telling me to wait but I didn't bother. I couldn't stand seeing daddy lifeless like that. I just pray that he rest in peace. Tears kept slipping out of my eyes not bothering to wipe them away. Everything hurts. Sure enough I heard a motor getting louder and louder by the second, surely Ross was there.
"Laura?" he calls my name.
I wiped my tears and looked up at him. He got out of the car and I just ran up to him and hugged him tightly crying into his chest.
"He's gone Ross, he's dead" I cry to him.
He rubs my back having his face up in my hair whispering to me 'everything is gonna be okay" but I knew it wasn't. People are out to kill me, they already got my dad, I know I'm up next. I just want the way things were before. Ross pulls away.
"I hate to cut this mourning but we got to get a moving Laur. For your protection" he reminds me.
I nod and we get in the car driving away.

. . .

"Laura, Laura wake up" Ross says shaking me up.
I flutter my eyes open and see that the sky is dark and we're in a neighborhood that I have no clue about. I get out as Ross grabs all of our things.
"You need help?" I ask him.
He shook his head. "Just knock on the door. The house right in front of you" he says.
I nod and walk over to the house and knock on the door. I look at Ross as he keeps dropping things making me giggle. Soon I see light on the sidewalk. I turn my head around and see a beautiful red headed girl. Wait a minute. A girl?