Welcoming Committee

~Everest~

I tried to focus on what the rock voices were trying to tell me but ultimately my thoughts turned back to the infuriating Šumian. One minute he would seem at least likeable, then he would open his mouth and I would be reminded of his true nature once again. A growl of frustration flew out of my mouth as I tried in vain to focus on anything else.

"Woah there Everest. Any more stomping around and you could attract the whole forest." Andy's voice broke my thoughts. I pulled my hood a bit closer as my cheeks warmed a bit.

"Deep in thought?" Mona offered an excuse. I nodded before straightening up.

"Let's get going shall we? The sooner we get this done, the sooner we will be out of your hair."

"What about Ciaran? Shouldn't we wait for him?" Mona asked, looking back the way I came.

"You can wait for him. I would prefer to just leave."

"I can wait for him. You two should go on ahead." Andy offered.

"No. Eve needs you to guide her. I can wait for Ciaran. Maybe we can do some damage control." Monaley whispered.

"If the lovers are done, I would like to put some distance between... here please." I spoke out. Andy chuckled nervously with Monaley.

"Not lovers you big tease!" Monaley objected

"Just becoming fast friends." Andy finished.

She smiled gratefully at him before touching her forehead to his own. I hadn't realized how tense they both were until they seemed to melt at each others' touch. Fighting off the urge to break up the happy moment, I looked away from them and into the forest. Suddenly my skin prickled and my eyes darted, trying to find the reason why.

"Travaie bai." Andy's voice brought me back to them.

"Vwayaje san danje Izanami." Monaley said gently to Andy.

I didn't try very hard to fight off the smile coming to my lips. When they parted, they seemed to be in their own world and I hated to have to ruin that moment. Clearing my throat, the two finally looked at me. I raised an eyebrow at Mona which she simply shrugged off.

"Catch up as soon as you can." I turned my back to her, forcing Andy to hurry and lead the way for me. Silence enveloped us as we got further away from Mona.

"Did something happen with you and Ciaran?" Andy asked. At least he had waited a little before asking.

"Didn't take you long to ask the big question." I joked.

"Well it was hanging right there for the taking." He joked back. I chuckled a bit.

"Just don't like being kept in the dark."

"And you think that you are being kept in the dark?"

"That is the only explanation I can think of as to why Ciaran is.... Acting the way he is."

I hesitated in telling Andy what I had talked about with the voice. I didn't know who I could trust or if it was just the disembodied voice that called him a halfling or not. I needed more information. My frustration came back as I looked at how little I knew. Andy stopped walking and looked at me expectantly. When I chose silence, he simply sighed and continued guiding me.

"I don't know what you guys did with the sacred face, but I will ask you to be patient with Ciaran. He has his reasons for his secrets. Just give it time and I am sure all will be revealed" Andy said with confidence.

"So that's where he took me? A sacred face? Do you know why?"

"Probably because of what you said." He climbed over a fallen tree and offered his hand to help me across.

"You mean the burning flood." I accepted it, grateful for his help.

"Most likely. He freaked and took you there once you said it."

"Well it certainly wasn't because of my riveting conversations." We laughed.

"Yea, he can be a little tough on new people."

"A little?! If this is little I would hate to see more." I teased.

He fell silent at my statement. I nudged his arm and he offered an apologetic smile. Silence enveloped us once more. Thoughts swirled around me as I tried in vain to put the pieces together. I sighed in frustration as I came back to the same conclusion. Nothing would make sense unless I got the rude one's story.

"Sorry. I seem to have made things worse for you." Andy said.

"Not at all. Just more to think about. Such as how you learned the Ximian customs." He blushed.

"We had time and I was curious." He explained.

"I think it's great that you tried to learn our customs. It gives me hope. Maybe this whole thing won't be a waste after all."

"Well it helped that Mona wanted to learn as well."

"It is always nice to have a willing participant."

"Yea. Look I am sorry for how Ciaran is acting. He really isn't usually like that."

"You shouldn't be the one to make the apologies. That falls to the one who owes them. But thank you nonetheless. You truly have a kind heart." He opened his mouth to respond but was interrupted.

"Long way from home Ximi-freak! What do you think you are doing here in my home turf?" An unfamiliar voice pierced the air.

I turned around to find a rather intimidating woman astride a giant black cat. She held a smirk as the forest plants parted and she stopped a few feet away from Andy and I.She had a dark green hood pulled up that seemed to tie her revealing outfit together. She held a long stick with a metal pointed end just behind her back. Her cat puffed and blew my hood off. I couldn't help the chuckle that escaped my lips. The lady's smirk immediately turned sour.

"Andy. What the hell is this Khau Sien Nkaag doing here?" Her anger was evident but my smile held.

"I suppose the welcoming committee has come." I responded.