Asking for Help

~Ciaran~

We searched for what seemed like hours in and around our camp and the forest but came up with nothing. We eventually turned the search into a clean up. I sat down on a nearby rock and bathed in the sunlight as it trickled through the leaves. Memories of my time in that camp floated through my head as I slowly relaxed. I took a slow and calming breath as I tuned into the forest for help.

"Come on... come on...come on!" I whispered to myself.

Why do you summon us halfling?

I gasped as many voices sounded as one entered my head. Opening my eyes, I beheld that my surrounding had changed. In front of me was a giant tree that had a face. Although it would shift to many different faces once I looked away. The sound of a waterfall came from my side, but I didn't dare look away from the face.

"Yes, great ones. I need your guidance. Something bad has happened here..."

What? How do you know this? Maybe you have more in you than we had been told.

"I am truly sorry, great ones, but I mean to talk about the camp burning down." I interrupted

That is what we mean boy!! We are trying to tell you that there was something evil just before the fire. The plants seemed to bend away from this... this... this thing! The very forest trembled at its presence. Beware halfling. Beware of the burning flood.

As the voices' warning faded from my mind I couldn't help but wonder what they meant about the burning flood. I shook my head of their foreboding and went back to the others as they were finishing up.

"Thank you all for helping with the clean up. Head on back to the tavern in town. Drinks are on me." A cheer went up as I said this and everyone disappeared as quickly as they came.

Their hoots and hollers sounded throughout the forest. After I determined I was all alone, I went back to the Ximian border. Something kept on replaying in my head as I had helped with the camp cleanup. I could have sworn that I had seen smoke deep in their land. Determination spread through me like a wildfire. I needed to find out if we were the only ones hit or not.