Into the Unknown

~Everest~

As we neared the border, Caelus slowed down. I could feel her trembling underneath her coat. I gave her a comforting pat before dismounting. Monaley rode up till she was right next to me. She gripped the thin green coat closer to her person.

"If you don't want to do this, you don't have to." I told her, putting on my own green clothing.

"And leave you to these animals? No chance." She took a few deep breaths.

"Thank you Mon-Mon. I really appreciate this." I said as she released her dogs.

"Well as we say, Caraidean an-dè, Teaghlach gu bràth." She said nervously, smiling.

"Hahaha. Yes. Caraidean an-dè, Teaghlach gu bràth." I replied, giving her a hug.

"Now then. You will need this." Monaley said as she secured a dark green cloak around my shoulders.

I marveled at the intricate threading and embroidery. She had embroidered bare, winter trees at the bottom of the cloak giving it a sense of unity against the forest green. As I moved up to the buttons, the Button covers were embroidered with the old symbol of unity for the 5 Clans before the betrayal. I looked at the sleeves that had a design I had never seen around the opening that showed my hands. The sleeves were long enough to barely show my hands and had extra fabric that gave off an air of regalness.

As she fastened the button covers, The cloak was long enough that the bottom seemed to spread out from my feet.I looked at her with my mouth agape. I couldn't believe she had made something so wonderfully delicate. She smiled and pulled up a hood I hadn't realized was there. It was big enough to cover most of my face while still allowing myself to see. I reached my hands up and felt the intricate design there as well.

"It's a crown in case you were wondering." She said with pride.

"Oh Lo'u Atua! When did you make this?!" I asked.

"When you were Gifted. I knew you would need it one day. It's..."

"It's a Ceremonial Cordiale. I can't believe you went through so much effort!!" I said gushing at the designs.

"Exactly! I expect an upgrade when we get back." She joked.

"Anything for you Mening Singlim!"

"No!! Don't call me that! That's a child's namesake!" She replied laughing.

"But it suits you so!"

"Hush now! We must keep out wits about us! We are to enter into enemy territory after all."

"Only you could change a subject so smoothly." I replied smiling.

She smiled and pulled up her hood. I turned to Caelus and met her forehead with my own. Monaley and I headed into the forest as our animal companions headed back to their home. As we took our first steps into the forest, I felt a chill run through me as the very forest itself seemed to be holding its breath. Waiting to see what we would be doing. We both stopped just at the edge of the forest. Where the roots were met with snow. I turned to Monaley and smiled.

"We wanted adventure."

Simultaneously, we stepped into enemy territory dragging the hopes for peace with us.