Chapter 8- Thank You Kakashi (Edited 1/29/20)

MINAKO'S POINT OF VIEW

Nothingness. Empty numbness was all I felt. It was a month after the mission and I never felt more meaningless. I blamed Obito's death on myself...if I had made it in time or saw the suicide bomb in advance, my Obito would still be alive. Everyday, I practically lived at the training fields. I only go home to eat and shower and even then I mostly just lived off of my surroundings. Kushina and Minato both desperately tried to get me home but I refused. I would continuously pound my fists into wooden dummys until they splintered and my hands bled...just like now.

I was covered completely in bruises. Cuts sliced across me and I was panting heavily. I was almost out of chakra. I growled at my own weakness and how pathetic I am and how I'll never be as good as Kakashi. I looked up at the final wooden dummy and all I saw was the man who caused the avalanche on Obito. My body wouldn't move anymore...I was exhausted...my body ached and my limbs felt heavier than stone. 

I'll get stronger Obito...maybe one day I would be worthy of you.

I collapsed onto the ground, unable to move. Still conscious, I watched as Minato and the Hokage made their way towards me quickly. Minato picking me up with an incredulous look on his face.

"Have you really been out here doing this to yourself all day?" Minato stared at me in worry and the Hokage looked at me with sadness in his eyes.

"Fury and self loathing won't help you Minako... I could see it in the way you moved with no care for your life. You must live on... For your teammates... For your brother in law... For your sister... And most importantly, for yourself. There's people around who still love you... Don't forget about them." I let a tear leave my eye as I fell limp in Minato's arms. Silver hair and a single obsidian eye invaded my dreams...

~~

TWO YEARS LATER

The funeral service for Obito was two years ago and today was the funeral for Rin. Kakashi was pretty broken up about Rin, seeing as it was from his chidori that she fell, even though she ran into it. Kakashi felt so guilty, it was plain on his features the second it happened. I fell into a deep depression after Obito died, barely going out on missions or even leaving the training field. Kakashi cared for me religiously, always making sure I was okay by stopping by every day. I lived with Kushina and Minato who were both incredibly concerned by my darkened state. They brought in doctors and medical genjutsu experts to try and alleviate my heartache but it was to no avail, except for the time I spent with Kakashi. Minato was Hokage now which was such an accomplishment and I was happy for him but I just couldn't feel it. I was sucked into a black hole, nothing in my way to help me be prevented from being crushed. Kushina says the light in my eyes completely vanished since Obito died... That it was just a full purple shell now. I couldn't even bring myself to comment back.

I dressed in a long black kimono and let my ruby hair fall past my waist. I put the hair clip in that Rin gave me when I turned jonin before walking towards the front door of the Hokage's mansion where Kakashi was waiting for me. His eye held the same darkness as mine, the other one was shut tightly. His black mask was pulled up over his nose and form fitted his face tightly. I wish sometimes that I could see his face, take a glimpse of the man that's under the mask.

"You look beautiful." Kakashi complemented. I couldn't smile but how I wish I could. Instead I took his hand in mine and whispered a thanks before we were off towards the KIA stone. This stone always brings me the saddest memories, one of when I had to comfort Kakashi after his father died, another where I personally etched in Obito's name into the stone, and now when Kakashi and I had to mourn over our other teammate. There was no end to this death and pain I felt. The only thing that made me feel something was Kakashi. His warmth and tenderness helped relieve my pain, making him the only person I wanted to be around most of the time. If I could spend all my day with him, I would. He held my hand often or placed an arm around my shoulder in order to keep me from falling apart. I was starting to really like Kakashi over the past year, his constant presence saved me from completely being swallowed by darkness. In fact, one could say I was developing feelings for him. Since we were the final two members of our team, we were inseparable. We made a promise the day Rin died that we would never leave each other. We were all we had.