16: Seven for a Secret

Beginne am Anfang

"No need to get so flustered," he said slyly, "or are you THAT in love with me?"

"Oh shut up Enoch and just enjoy the moment," I said nudging him with my shoulder.

"You didn't deny it," he said with a laugh. 

I laughed too, I laughed at the fact I was holding hands with him, I laughed at the happiness I was feeling and I laughed at the thousands of butterflies in my stomach.

To distract myself, I looked around. On the grass by the trees I spotted a magpie and it reminded me of a nursery rhyme I had learned in my first loop. We used to walk around the fields and forests looking for magpies and as we walked we would sing.

"Enoch," I spoke up after a while, "do you know the nursery rhyme about magpies?"

"There weren't many nursery rhymes being told in a funeral parlor so no," he replied.

"Okay then I'll teach you it," I said happily, "we have to look for magpies and the number of magpies we see will correlate to something in the song. This is how it goes;

One for sorrow,

Two for joy,

Three for a girl,

Four for a boy,

Five for silver,

Six for gold,

Seven for a secret never to be told."

"All right," he said, "let's start counting."

By now the rest of the children had turned their heads to look at what we were doing. I had recited the rhyme quite loud. I realized that Enoch and I were still holding hands so we quickly let go although I'm pretty sure most of the children noticed. 

"What's that rhyme?" asked Olive curiously. 

"It's a rhyme that's meant to reveal something depending on how many magpies you spot," I explained, "I, for example, have already spotted one."

"Oh my," said Miss Peregrine, "I haven't heard that rhyme in years. Miss Magpie made it up to predict futures, but that was many many decades ago. How do you know of it, June?"

"My ymbryne in Luxembourg taught us it," I said, "Miss Kestrel."

"I remember her!" said Miss Peregrine rather excitedly, "we went to Miss Avocet's academy together before she left for Europe. A superstitious game but still fun, I suppose."

"Let's begin then," I said, joyful that everyone was playing.

As we walked across the island we called out every time we saw a magpie and kept the count in our head, they weren't very common in Wales so luckily there wasn't an abundance of them. Plus you had to spot the bird yourself, no one could point one out to you. 

We approached the beach after passing through the village. We got numerous wary glances and many townsfolk shut their doors or windows as we went by. No attention was paid to them, as we were all too concentrated on getting enough magpies for a pleasant result. 

"And finish," announced Emma, as we walked on to the rocky beach. We found a secluded area where people from the village wouldn't bother us. It was a little cold since it was September but the water was still warm from the sun's rays. 

"How many did everyone get?" I asked.

Everyone called out a number and one by one I told them what awaited them in the future.

Emma had four and everyone oohed until she was bright red and stomped off. 

Horace also had four at which he was quite happy with although he said he'd rather have six for gold.