18: Birthday and Deathday

"Happy birthday Enoch!" I announced as I burst into his room that morning. He jumped up from his desk in surprise but his shock quickly melted into happiness and he gave me a warm smile.

"You remembered?" he asked tentatively.

"Of course I did," I said walking over to him, "how could I forget my favorite Sagittarius' birthday?"

"Sagi what?" he asked.

"Clearly you're not into zodiac signs," I said jokingly, "but that's not why I'm here anyway."

I held out the polka dot gift-wrapped present.

"I hope you like it because well I mean I like you- no wait I mean I like the present, I mean I think I like it- It's special to me at least, but I don't know how-" I blabbered nervously as he unwrapped the gift. 

"June," he said, silencing my chatter, "I love it."

"You do?" I gasped, "I mean of course you do I picked it out myself."

He smiled at me and gave me a hug. 

"It's perfect," he said examining the pocket watch.

"I thought it was kind of a combination of us," I said happily, "the heart is like how you raise the dead-"

"And the watch like how you stop time," Enoch finished. 

"Exactly," I said, "I'm glad you like it."

He put the watch in his pocket and looked back at me with a smirk.

"You know," he began slyly, "now that you've given me my gift I'll give you yours."

"But it's not my birthday," I told him.

"I felt bad for missing yours so just for this year I am blessing you with celebrating your birthday on mine," he said.

"How graceful of you," I said with a smirk.

He pulled out a wrapped gift from his desk drawer and handed it to me. The brown packaging crinkled in my hands as I unwrapped it.

I gasped as I pulled out a small canvas and four tubes of oil paint, white, red, blue, and yellow, and a small brush. 

"Oh my god Enoch," I said excitedly, "I LOVE IT!"

I jumped on him and embraced him in a hug as he laughed at my joy. 

"How did you know I love oil painting?" I asked. 

"I did some snooping around and made Emma promise to never tell you I asked," he laughed.

"I'm so glad you snooped, I am so excited to paint with these!" I exclaimed, "I never thought I'd find oil paints here."

"I have my ways," he said with a smirk. 

We lay down on his bed. I realized the last time we'd done this was the day Victor had died, I hoped no tragedies would occur today. 

"Was the new boy also a birthday gift?" he asked sarcastically. I rolled my eyes, I hoped he wasn't going to get jealous of him too.

"I didn't exactly plan on running into him but he was quite difficult to ignore with the several angry men chasing him," I told him.

"I can't believe Abe's really dead though," Enoch said deep in thought, "I feel like he's just pulling everyone's leg and is going to pop out of his coffin."

"What I can't believe is how little he told his grandson," I said, "when we first found him he didn't even realize he was in 1940, I mean how clueless can you be. Emma thought for sure he was a wight but he seems a little bit too dumb to be one."