2: Peace and Quiet

As she saw me she gave me a warm smile and said, "June Myristica, I've been expecting you."

I smiled back, Miss Avocet must have informed her of my coming.

"Hello," I said with as much confidence as I could muster, "you are Miss Peregrine?" I asked.

"Yes, indeed that's me," she said," Miss Avocet told me of your arrival although I must say I was starting to worry something had happened when you didn't show up an hour ago."

"I am so sorry," I replied as she let me in through the door into the entrance hall, "the ferry got delayed."

"No worries," she said warmly, "you're here now and that's all that matters, I'll let Miss Avocet know you're here."

She walked up the grand staircase and I followed, floorboards cracking under our weight. Out of the corner of my eye, I caught several children looking at me from around a wall downstairs. Not knowing what to do I gave them a small wave and they scattered away, however one small girl with golden curls waved back and gave me a smile.

Miss Peregrine noticed them and told them it was rude to stare as we carried on up the stairs.

She led me to the fourth door down the hallway. In total there were thirteen doors in the hallway, the largest doors were at the end which I assumed were Miss Peregrine's own quarters.

She opened the door, inside was a made bed by a window, which light shined in through, a large open wardrobe, which reminded me of the one in my first loop, a lone chair stood in the corner and a table in front of it. Overall it was a lovely room, with off-white walls, however, it would need a little decorating.

"This will be your room," said Miss Peregrine, "don't hesitate to ask if you need anything, the bathroom if you need it is the door by stairs."

I sat on the bed finally realizing how tired I was, "thank you so much," I said, "this place seems really nice, I do hope it will be permanent."

"I really hope so too," she said a sympathetic look coming over her face which she quickly shook away, "rest, for now, we will have supper in about an hour where you can meet my wards." 

She left closing the door behind her. 

I threw off my shoes and lay on the warm bed, the last of the sunlight shining onto my face. It truly was serene here, I hoped the children here were nice too. I'd find out soon.

The dying sunlight along with the excitement of the day put me in a drowsy mood and before I knew it I was fast asleep. My last thought was of wondering if this would really be my home.