30: Reunited

Spinning around I found myself in a small hallway at the back of the church hall most likely leading to the clock tower. The wight stood across me. I was tired of listening to him and with a swift move I elbowed him in the face causing him to hit the hallway wall and a small trickle of blood came down his face. His gun was useless now, if I was dead their beloved Caul had no chance of coming back. He lifted his hand to either threaten me or hit me back but before I clapped twice and he froze with a moronic expression on his face. I didn't have any rope to bind his wrists with so instead I began pushing his frozen form towards the wooden cupboard on the side of the hall. I opened the doors with a creak and shoved him in. Before enclosing the wight into the darkness I gave him one sharp kick out of anger and slammed the doors. Next, I found a chair in the hallway which I quite easily broke by smashing on the floor as the chair was quite old. I used one of the legs to hold the door handles of the cupboard shut so if I were to lose concentration on freezing him he wouldn't be able to get out easily. I swung the second leg over my shoulder and headed back down the hallway to the door which led back to my friends. I fixed my hair quickly. I knew it was pointless and I had bigger things to worry about but it was just a little tradition I didn't want to lose in the insanity of my current state. I pushed open the door.

They were fighting back using everything they could. Olive, Horace, and Claire threw stray items over the table they had knocked over and were hiding behind. Emma emerged from behind the table every few seconds hurling balls of fire over. Bronwyn lifted items of furniture over her heading smashing the wights underneath. Enoch used a broken chair leg to knock out a white who was reloading his gun. Meanwhile, Jacob stood in front of the hollow in immense concentration in order to gain control over it. Or at least stop it from eating anyone immediately. All my friends were fighting, it was time for me to join in.

I surged forward, chair leg swinging. With a snap of my finger, I froze the first wight I came across, plucking the gun out of his hand and shooting him directly in the leg. A clap of my hands and he regained motion and fell down to the ground while the next wight froze. I plucked the gun out of this one's hands as well and threw it to the person nearest to me which happened to be Enoch still baring a cracked chair leg. He gave me a smirk and got back to fighting. I shot this wight in the leg as well, wounding him but not killing him although he did deserve it. Swiftly I had already taken care of my fourth wight and Emma, Enoch, and the others forces combined had taken down all of the others. The floors were strewn with their deceptive bodies. Jacob still focused on the hollow who hadn't made a move to attack any of us.

I rushed to Enoch who rushed towards me and amidst the most depressing destroyed church filled with bodies we embraced in a tight hug. He pulled me away to see my face and before I could do anything he kissed me. I melted into his existence. My surroundings erased from my mind and I felt the same butterflies I had felt when we lived in Miss Peregrine's old victorian home.

In a blink, I was back to reality. The cold greyness edged everything I looked at. And everyone. Miss Peregrine looked back over at us after what seemed like she had been avoiding seeing our interaction. I smiled at her and she smiled back, her assuring strict but warm smile. I lost focus if her as Emma's body hit mine and she wrapped her arms around me.

"Oh, June! I'm so glad you're okay and we found you," she said while we hugged, "you must tell us the whole story as soon as we're in the clear."

"Emma I missed you so much too, I missed every single one of you," I said with a grin, "I was so lonely I'm glad we've reunited."

This was one of the few last moments of bliss I experienced.

After everyone apart from Jacob hugged me, who nervously but enthusiastically addressed me from his position by the hollow, Miss Peregrine told us we had to plan our next moves.

"We'd best leave quick, this loop entirely," she said, "perhaps for somewhere northward however I fear the plague of wights might have already infected all of the United Kingdom."

I hated this. To keep running from loop to loop, city to city, country to country in order to escape the ever-nearing fear of wights on the search for me. They would catch up to me in the end and it would cause the demise of everyone. This wasn't the right choice. No one was safe if I was here. If I was alive.

"Miss Peregrine, we're here now aren't we?" I asked, "these wights are going to follow us everywhere we go as long as I am there. How long can we outrun them? The moment they get their claws on me it's over and there's nothing I would hate more than being treated like a fragile package about to get kidnapped at any second. I understand if all of you want to leave and find somewhere safe to love but there will never be anywhere safe for me. I want to stay here and destroy them. I want to destroy this little Caul recipe of theirs. I want to silence them so word of me doesn't get out."

Although most of this was true I knew fully well that word of me had probably already gotten out across the whole country and maybe even continent. I had no plan on destroying them all. I had other plans that would worry my friends and Miss Peregrine too much.

"June, we'll find somewhere, you can't risk your life for a cause you have such little chance of winning," she told me.

"All right, then it's best you all leave and I face this on my own," I said.

"I'm not leaving you," said Enoch firmly, "I've just found you and I can't let you live in fear of your life forever."

I looked at him gratefully.

"June, I want to help too," piped in Emma, "you deserve peace and if it will guilt you to travel us then this is the best option."

"Thank you, Enoch, thank you, Emma," I said, touched.

"Count me in," said Jacob, "I need to use this hollow for something."

He was no longer focusing on the skulking mass of putrid smell which meant he had gained control over it.
Miss Peregrine looked stressed but I could tell she understood.

"Very well," she said, "everyone else, carefully evacuate this building and seek refuge in an empty house at a far distance. Stay within the loops boundaries, though."

Millard looked like he was going to interrupt requesting to stay however Miss Peregrine interrupted him.

"Someone needs to take care of the younger ones Millard, I trust you, Hugh, and Fiona for that job."

As the others were leaving Horace came up to me.

"June, I'm sorry for not staying but my skill set has no use for you here," he said.

"It's okay, Horace, I understand," I replied.

"Don't try anything you might regret," he said his face growing concerned, "I don't know what it is but I have a bad feeling about your future."

"Don't worry," I assured him, "I'll do what it takes to create peace, nothing more."

He nodded at my rather vague answer and headed off with Fiona, Hugh, Claire, Olive, Millard, and Bronwyn. I got a last glimpse of them, five morbid children filing out of a desecrated church.

I turned to face who I had left. One pyrokinetic girl, one boy with a monster in his control, one boy with a gun and a chair leg, and a bird-woman.

"Let's go,"

I re-entered the dark hallway to the clock tower.