21 | daddy lessons

1 Month Later

1 Month Later

"O, it's ready." 

I undressed myself down to my compression shorts and stepped into the freezing ice bath. While ice baths have always been apart of my athletic experience, they never got easier to take. I just got used to it. 

"A nigga is starving." Malik groaned while taking a seat on the bench close by. He let the strap from his bookbag slide down his arm, swung it around him and sat it on the floor in front of him. 

"You always starving." Jarvis laughed. 

"That's cus ya wife stopped feeding me." 

"Nigga, you ain't our responsibility!" 

"Yo." I chuckled, finally being able to sit on the back of the tub, allowing my legs to go underwater. "Y'all too fucking much." 

"I'm just kidding." Malik laughed, packing his bag with his belongings from practice. It was a long ass day. The more I submerged my body in the ice and freezing water, it made it easier to fight the sleep I craved. 

While I had no set plans on what I was doing once I left practice, the first thing I wanted to do was call Anais. We were together last night, leading up to her going to work this morning and me coming to practice. 

She was stressing about a faculty meeting she was having today. She just knew it wasn't going to go well. I did my best to keep her mind off of it, but it didn't keep her from being so anxious about it. Personally, I hated to see her go crazy over her job. It wasn't worth it. As much as she loves working with her students, the levels of stress her supervisor and co-workers give to her isn't deserving at all. Especially when we need teachers like her. Who care about students' well-being, who have a passion for what they teach, and who go out of their way to treat students with respect. 

I grabbed my things from my locker after dressing myself in sweats and a hoodie. Finding my phone in my bag, I scrolled to see text messages from Ana already. 

I grabbed my AirPods, plugging them into my ear, and not wasting any time to FaceTime her. She picked up on the second ring. 

"You ok, baby?" 

"No." She wiped tears from her eyes. "I think I need to find another job." She closed her car door and threw her bag over in the passenger seat. 

"What happened? What they say?" 

"Well, we started out talking about typical things, then he went into asking for updates. He wanted me to let him know how the play was going. I told him, it's going great, but we need to request an open space large enough for rehearsals while the builders come in to build the set.

"Right." 

"So, I asked for the small gym. It's big enough for us, no one uses it during the days we rehearse. But h came back and was like, the kids will scuff the floor, the location of the gym isn't ideal since we'll need to use the Bluetooth system to practice music, and it's too loud for the students who stay after school for detention and tutoring.