Chapter Sixty-Two

Archer's the one who released the photograph. If Levi told me this on Friday, I would have believed him. Now that I've had time to think about it, it makes no sense that he would do that.

It was wrong of me to impulsively assume it was him when I had no evidence to back it up. After everything went wrong, I needed someone to blame other than myself. I couldn't come to terms with me being the reason for my own downfall. Now, I've just made everything worse between us. And for what, a pointless argument?

"How would you know that?" I ask, genuinely curious as to why he thinks that.

"I saw him high-fiving a bunch of his friends. He was grinning like the Cheshire cat on crack. It was written all over his face."

"And when was this?" My eyes pour into his as I try to catch him out in his lie.

"Around the time the second half started." He replies. That's all I need to hear to know that he's scheming.

"You're lying," I state plainly, and he seems taken aback that I managed to figure it out. "It's written all over your face." I copy his previous words with a chuckle.

His serious gaze locks with mine. This is his futile attempt at convincing me he's telling the truth. I see now, he's trying to get me to place my trust in him rather than Archer. Except he's wrong by thinking that. I don't trust Archer either. Not after everything that's happened.

"Why would I lie to you?"

I shrug. "Oh, I don't know. Maybe I'm struggling to trust you after you kissed me when you knew Archer was watching." I whisper-shout.

He sinks back slightly but regains his confidence moments later. If I weren't searching for any flaws in his demeanour I wouldn't have noticed. His shoulders slumped slightly and for a second he looked like an innocent teenage boy.

"You think I knew he was there?" He looks at me as if I'd told him a joke.

"I know you knew."

He takes one step closer to me, but I hold my ground. I roll back my shoulders and hold my head high to appear taller than I am, still, he towers over me.

"I couldn't have cared less if he saw us or not. I kissed you because of the way you were looking at me, Mads." Hearing the nickname that Archer used coming out of his mouth makes me feel physically sick. It sounds right when Archer says it, well it used to anyway. "You wanted me. I was only giving you what you wanted."

He holds his hands up in surrender as if what he said is true. "You're ridiculous." I give him an incredulous look. Does he actually believe that I want him or is he trying to put doubts in my head? Is he trying to make me feel guilty for him kissing me? This doesn't make sense.

He places his hands around my waist and pulls me closer to his body. My chest is pressed flush against his. I can feel his hot breath fanning across my cheek. The strong smell of mint fills my nostrils causing my eyes to water.

"I know you want revenge on Archer, and I do too. Don't make this harder than it has to be. We can work together." He tries and fails to persuade me.

I slam my hands against his chest, pushing him away from me. He stumbles back and grabs onto the shelf to steady himself. His eyes narrow just like they did at the party. But I don't falter. I would have before but not now. Now I've become a different person, a person who can stand up for themself. I won't let him do whatever he wants with me and get away with it.

"Was me rejecting you at the party not enough?" I refrain from spitting on him, instead, shaking my head in disdain. "You make me sick. I don't know what twisted fantasies you have living in that head of yours but I'm not going to be a part of them."