Beastly

Sweat dripped off my chin as I tossed the last shovel-full of dirt over my mother's grave. Once I finished, I leaned against a tree.

I had marked all the graves with names. It feels like the proper thing to do.

As I looked over the massive graveyard, I wanted to cry, to weep, but I couldn't. I had cried so much that there were no more tears to be shed.

Pressing my hands together, I prayed silently over my deceased family and friends.

Turning on my heel, I made my way back to my empty house. I grabbed a bag from my closet and began placing clothes in it. 

I'll need to head to a village for medical training. I can't let something like this happen again.

Slinging the bag over my shoulder, I left my house and walked down the street.

When I reached the village's gates, I looked back at the village.

Goodbye, my home.

That's when I turned around and walked away from the girl I used to be.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Time Skip*

(Random Villager's POV)

"Oi! Waiter! Another round!' I barked at the young boy.

He sighed before bringing me another bottle of cheap beer. Grunting, I snatched the bottle from his hand and took a nice, long swig. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed a small figure with a strange things on its head.

Stumbling to my feet, I made my way out of the bar and towards the child. I reached out my hand and yanked hard on these horn-like-things on her head. She yelped loudly in pain.

"They're...real." I was surprised. This child had horns growing from her skull. Maybe I'm just drunk off my ass. No...I only had three beers.

"Of course they are!" Snapped the little...thing. Her eyes were a piercing red that seemed to burn right through me.

"Fr--freak!" I spat at it. How dare it give me such a look!

The thing's eyes widened in surprise at my words.

"What? Please don't call me that." Its eyes shifted around nervously as people started to notice us.

"Get out of our town! Your kind isn't welcomed here!" I barked as I pointed a shaky finger at it. A crowd began to form, most of them hurling insults at the thing.

The thing's eyes began to slightly tear up, before it sprinted off. The crowd and I followed in hot pursuit.

It weaved through the streets before turning a corner, causing it to be momentarily out of our sight.

Rounding the corner, I was shocked to see the thing completely gone. Murmurs and shocked expressions was shared among the crowd.

"Split up and find it!" I ordered before jogging off with a couple townsfolk.

We're going to find you, beastly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Azumi's POV)

My heart pounded wildly in my chest as the sound of disgruntled voices and footsteps faded away. The owner of the hand currently clasped over my mouth slowly released me.

Spinning on my heel, I faced a woman with strange colored skin. It had a blue-ish tint to it.

"My apologies for just grabbing you like that." She dipped her head slightly in an apologetic way.

I took notice of the sound of her voice. Her voice was soft with a sort of mystical and angelic tone to it.

"The humans around here do not take kindly to us. If I had not intervened, they would have surely hurt you. Anyway, you must be looking for a place to stay, correct?" She stared at me with her large ceruleon blue eyes. At a lost for words, I simply nodded.

"Ah. Good. Follow me." She smiled before turning around and started walking away.

"W-wait! How do I know I can trust you?!" I called after her. She stopped in her tracks.

"If you go back out there, you will not be able to find anywhere to stay. And they will most likely harm you. Frankly speaking, I am the only one you can trust as of now. But it is your decision. So, what will you choose?"

At first, I didn't respond. I mean, how could I? I don't even know this woman, but she is going to let me stay with her. But, it could be a trap. She could actually be planning to kill me or something.

The sound of footsteps drew my attention back to the slowly retreating figure of the woman.

Making up my mind, I inhaled deeply before jogging after her.

Oh God, I hope I made the right choice.