Promises

"Miss, Miss you need to move so I can work on the patient," I hear through the fog of what just happened. I feel someone physically pull me away from Drew's body and sit me on a chair in his kitchen. They start to examine me.

"Miss can you tell me your name?" I hear the paramedic ask me, shining a light in my eyes. My brain is still trying to process what just happened. Derek shot at me and Drew pushed me out of the way and got shot. Then someone broke down the door and shot Derek.

I look at the man who is trying to get me to tell him my name, trying to force my lips to move.

"She's in shock, we need to get her to the hospital," he says as they bring in another stretcher for me.

I feel them lie me down and take me out of the house. As I am rolled out I see paramedics working on Drew and one putting a sheet over what I assume to be Derek's body.

In the ambulance the paramedic is still trying to get my name out of me. I look at him and whisper "Emily, Emily Anderson."

"Okay that's a start. Emily are you hurt anywhere?" he asks me.

I nod no. "My boyfriend is he okay?" I manage get out.

"Well we had one that was deceased upon arrival and the other one is in critical condition, but that is all I can say," he says.

"It was meant for me. That bullet, he pushed me out of the way. He has to be okay," I say to the paramedic.

"You need to rest a bit Miss Anderson, the police will want to talk to you when we get to the hospital and you get checked out," he tells me.

We get to the hospital and they take me into an exam room.  The doctor puts me through a whole bunch of tests and I hear a knock on the door.

"Ms. Anderson, do you remember me? I am Detective Matheson. I was assigned to your original case. Can you walk me through what happened tonight?" he asks looking at me.

"The bullet was meant for me," is all I can manage to get out before I start to cry. The Detective looks caught off guard at first and wraps an arm around me.

The door opens and my mom runs into the room and literally pushes the detective off me. 

 "You need to leave her. Do you not understand what she has just gone through. She doesn't need to relive this right now," she says wrapping her arms around me.

"I am sorry we need to get her statement and the sooner the better, while it's fresh," he says.

"I understand that detective, but I have gone through something similar and she needs time to process all this," my mom says pleading with the detective.

"Fine 24 hours Ms. Anderson and then we need something," he says leaving the room.

"Oh Em. You two shouldn't have gone back," she says hugging me tightly.

"Is Drew alright?" I ask looking at her.

"Your dad is trying to find that out. Not being family they are pretty tight lipped," she says.

"He took a bullet for me mom. Derek shot at me and he pushed me out of the way and saved me," I say breaking down and crying again.

"I know sweetie, he did what he did because he loves you and didn't want you hurt," she says hugging me tighter.

"It's my fault, all of this. If Drew dies mom it's my fault," I say crying harder.

"You listen to me, this is not your fault. The one to blame is Derek. He started all of this and I am just upset he won't be around to face the justice he deserves," she says.