─ surene ♡

ꕤ WARNING ꕤ

"excuse me, what?"

princess joohyun asked again as she stares at the young prince junmyeon in shock, she wasn't sure whether he actually did ask her to ditch the royal ball and go play outside with him since the night was pretty outside.

she was always that perfect princess, always looked up as the role model for all women but with the title she gained, she wasn't the happiest. there were times she didn't want to smile, didn't want to sit still, didn't want to stay quiet and sit prettily.

but in the end, she still does what she's told, it's not like she has any other choice.

and then here comes the young prince junmyeon, he was often being laughed at because of how cheesy he gets with his jokes and actions. he was goofy and loud which is the complete opposite of what a prince should be.

her parents forbid her to go anywhere near him as his "ugly" personality would rub off on her this was the first time that she disobeyed them, there was something with his overall personality that intrigued joohyun which is why she accepted his hand to have a dance with him at their ball.

"you heard me, princess. want to go out and play at the fields? tonight is a perfect night to run around. plus, i know a path we could take." he added as he drags the both of them near a curtain, "you can say no, princess. i just figured that you must be tired of keeping that mask all the time," he added which shocked the princess joohyun.

"what do you mean mask, prince junmyeon?" she asked, feeling offended and bare in front of him.

junmyeon stopped his tracks and lets her go, "we both know what i meant by that, i go through the same thing as you, princess, but the difference is, i threw my mask a long time ago." he said and gave her a bow, "it was pleasant dancing with you, princess joohyun. i hope you'll throw your mask away as well, i heard from the king of the west that he wants his son to take your hand in marriage." he said before going behind the curtains and his figure disappears.

"m-marriage?" joohyun mumbled under her breath. that made her panic and follow him behind the curtain, she gasped when she saw a small opened door behind it, "w-what is this?"

"come on, princess. they can see you behind the curtain!" junmyeon said and held her hand to get inside what seems to be a dark tunnel. he immediately shuts the door, he then faces her with a concerned look on his face, "i'm gonna need you to trust me this time, princess. i won't let anything bad to happen to you." he said and extends his hand for her to hold.

this should be a warning sign for her, she barely knew from. they only had a few interactions through the years but joohyun felt in her stomach that he was a good person, she took a deep breath in before placing her hand on his, "i trust you, prince junmyeon."

junmyeon smiles at her, "please, call me junmyeon. it's fine." he said and gently tug her hand to start walking through the dark tunnel, the only light source available was the torch he held with his hand but joohyun didn't like how dark it was behind her, making her stand closer to the prince's figure.

"we're almost at the exit, princess. i'm sorry if it's too dark." he said to break the silence between them.

joohyun looks up to him as she felt her stomach turn and her heart flutter at how close she was, "p-please, call me joohyun."

junmyeon looks at her and chuckles at how lost she looked behind him. in an instant, he intertwined their fingers together as he whispered under his breath, "alright... joohyun."

"it's so beautiful!" joohyun exclaimed excitedly. her head turns from to every angle of the large field in front of her. as soon as the two reached the end of the tunnel, they had to walk through a garden maze and then through a wooden door, revealing this beautiful field.

"what are you waiting for? let's have fun!" junmyeon exclaimed and ran ahead of her into the field with his arms wide open. joohyun laughed at him before removing her uncomfortable shoes and carrying her ballgown as she thanked the heavens that she chose the less heavy ones for tonight.

joohyun ran along with the open, feeling the cold grass under her feet as she felt her skin hit the tall and short grass. she giggles at the wonderful feeling when she felt tired of running. she sat on the grass and gaze upon the starry night sky above her.

joohyun felt someone sat beside but her eyes remained in the sky, "you were right, it is a beautiful night." she told him with a genuine smile. she went to stare at him who already took off his thick brown coat and his messed up hair.

"one thing to add up to this beautiful is your smile, joohyun. i think this is the first time i ever saw you smile that big." junmyeon said with a smile.

"well, thank you for making me smile tonight, junmyeon. i really appreciate it." joohyun replied, "so, is there anything else we could do out here?" she asked when she felt they were staring at each other for way too long.

junmyeon broke off their eye contact and hummed, "there's a family living close by. since i always go out here, they already know me and we could borrow their bicycles and ride around the area." he said and stood from his seat. he extended his hand for her to hold so she could easily stand.

"but i don't know how to ride a bicycle..." joohyun said with a frown.

"we can always learn, joohyun. come on!" he said and ahead of her while their hands were still locked with one another.

🥛
━ surene one shot for
irene's day!
i'm late and i
apologize huhu
happiest birthday
to our pillar
and leader!
we love you so
much, joohyun! 💗