Finger Paint

Prompt: Soren and Enya fingerpainting with their child

Setting: Post Season 3, several years later

---

"You enjoying yourself, Sonya?" Soren laughs as his daughter slathers the blank parchment in front of her in bright blue paint. The toddler babbles excitedly and claps her paint-covered hands together before trying to reach for one of the jars of paint.

"She's a real artist isn't she?" Enya laughs as her daughter manages to dunk her hand into the jar and drew out a small fist covered in green paint before slapping it onto the paper. "I'm still trying to decipher what she's painting."

"I think she's trying to draw her aunt Rayla, or maybe her uncle Callum with green hair." Soren says and squints at the paper. "Actually it's a weird circle so it could be Bait - no do not put your hand in your mouth!"

Sonya gave an upset cry as her father immediately grabs her paint-covered hand to keep her from sticking it into her mouth.

"Sonya! You don't do that!" Enya scolds as her husband grabs a nearby rag to try and wipe their daughter's hands of paint and scoops her into his arms.

"She's having a bit of a tantrum over not getting to eat paint, that's new." Soren says as he tries cleaning her hands, the toddler wailing as if she had just been slapped or hit her head. However, one of Sonya's paint-covered hands flew up to smack her father right in the face, leaving a little green and blue handprint on his right cheek. The toddler's crying immediately ceased and turned to laughter at the sight of her handprint on her father's face, earning her an unamused frown from him.

"Oh that's charming, very charming." Soren mutters as Enya laughs and takes Sonya from him. "We're going to have to teach her it's not nice to slap people."

"You're just mad that she got paint on your stubble." Enya laughs as her husband tries cleaning his face, only succeeding in smearing the paint.

"Hey is everything alright?." The two look up to see Callum poking his head through the doorway. "I heard Sonya crying."

"Just peachy." Soren responds as the toddler screeches in excitement at the sight of her uncle.

"Ca!" Sonya squeals as she tries wiggling out of her mother's grasp. "Ca! Ca!"

"At least someone's thrilled to see me." Callum laughs as he enters the room and shuts the door behind him. Enya places Sonya onto her feet to let the toddler waddle right to her uncle and latch onto his leg with a laugh. "And how's the little warrior princess?"

Sonya responds with another excited screech as her uncle bends down to pry her from his leg and scoop her up into his arms.

"Very happy from the noise she's making." Enya laughs as Sonya tried to grab Callum's hair with her paint-covered hand. "Ah, sorry about the mess, we were just finger painting with her, we'll clean it up."

"Ooh someone's training to be an artist like her uncle, can uncle Callum see what you drew?"

Sonya gave another excited screech as he walked over to where her parents sat and took a parchment that Enya handed him. "Wow, that's a lot of red and purple on one page."

"It's just scribbles, but I think this one is supposed to be Bait." Soren says holding up another parchment paper that was covered in mostly yellow paint with blue handprints.

"Ah yes, her favorite grump." Callum laughs as he hands them back the paper he was holding and takes another. "Yeah this looks like Bait, you think Ezran will hang this up in his room? He did mention that he'd be happy to hang up her artwork when she gets around to doing stuff like this."

"Anything Bait related is a piece of priceless art in his eyes." Enya jokes with a laugh. "I guess if you show it to him, he'll happily pin it up somewhere or show it off to everyone he sees. Rayla still has one of her other finger paintings in her room."

"Right then, I'll give you back this little cutie and just take this to her uncle." Callum says as he hands her back Sonya, who gives a protesting cry. "No no don't cry, uncle is just going to go show uncle Ezran your picture."

"You can take her with you, otherwise she'll fuss and pout for the rest of the day." Soren laughs. "I have to go relieve someone of their post and Enya has to go back with her dad to work, you can babysit her in the meantime if you want."

"You wanna go with uncle Callum to see uncle Ezran's reaction to your paintings?" Enya asks Sonya, who gives an excited squeal and eagerly claps her hands.

"Alright then, spend time with your favorite uncle for a bit, and I'll see you in a few hours little lady." Soren says as he stands up, scooping his daughter into his arms and poking her on the nose.

Sonya giggles as she's passed over to Callum. "Ba ba!" She babbles happily.

"Yes, ba ba and mama will be seeing you in a few hours." Enya laughs as she stands. "Don't give your uncles and aunt too much trouble, you hear me?"

"Aw relax En, if she's anything like me, she'll be no problem at all." Soren assures her with a grin. "After all, she gets her good behavior from her good old dad!"

🔹🔹🔹

"Aren't you tired?" Enya asks her husband as he is pacing the floor of their room, humming to himself as he bounced Sonya in his arms in an attempt to get her to fall asleep.

"Not really, but someone is refusing to get tired." Soren says and stifled a yawn. "I think someone gave her sugar, and that's why she's refusing to fall asleep."

"Or she had been waiting to see you again because she hardly got to see you at all today."

Sonya gave a little happy babble as she reaches up to touch her father's chin, the little tips of her fingers barely grazing him. Soren couldn't help but smile as he adjusts her to sit up in his arms, letting her grab at his face and hair.

"Hey did you really walk around all day with that on your face?" Enya asks, walking over to them and pokes her husband's cheek.

"If you're talking about my stubble, I'm trying to grow it out so you two won't have to suffer scratchy beard kisses from me." Soren responds.

"You still have paint on your face where Sonya slapped you."

"What?!"

Sonya gave a laugh as her father hurried over to a dresser to where they had a small mirror standing and he groans.

"I had a green and blue smear on my face all day! Why didn't anyone tell me?!" Soren groans as Enya walks over to him with a small water-filled basin and a washcloth.

"Beats me, here let me wash." She responds as she dips a bit of the cloth into the water and rubs it against his cheek. "Stop pouting, it's not so bad."

"Ba ba!" Sonya giggles and claps her hands happily.

"Yes, your ba ba is a bigger baby than you are." Enya laughs, ignoring the look her husband was giving her. "Hey, it's true. I'm not going to be lying to our daughter."

"You're going to lie to her about the tooth fairy when she starts losing teeth." Soren points out. "And the messy room goblin, and the -"

"Oh look who's already getting sleepy."

Soren stops to look down at his daughter, who was now resting her little head on his shoulder and trying to keep her eyes open.

"Already worn out?" He chuckles as he adjusts her against his chest. "Me too little sunshine, how about we get you ready for bed, and then you can cuddle with daddy so he can read you something later?" Sonya responds with a nod and snuggles against her father, a sleepy smile on her face. "I'll take that as a yes.